Skinny Shaming

Quick blog about this because I'm really mad about it.

How is saying “Ew, girl, you need to eat a sandwich” or “sticks gross me out” different from saying “Ew, you need to lose weight” or “fatties gross me out”? Sorry, I don't see the difference.

Like, some people think skinny people aren't shamed. YEAH, RIGHT. You have no idea how many times I've been told that I look like a skeleton, that I need to eat a sandwich, that no guy will date me because I'm ‘a bag of bones’. It's happened to me and it's happened to some of of my friends. It's not nice. It's not less bad than being made fun of for being overweight. I have hyperthyroidism, being ‘a bag of bones’ is not something I chose.

But it seems like making fun of skinny people is fine, because they're skinny, they have nothing to worry about- however, if you make fun of a fat person, you're a terrible person who's probably satan's child. Neither action should be acceptable. Being made fun of for either reason is unacceptable and hurtful. So please. Let's not have double standards.

It just really gets me mad because I've been there and there seems to be no judgement towards that as there is for fat-shaming. Sorry.
October 21st, 2013 at 05:33pm