What Do You Do to Get Yourself to Write?

I posted this when the blogs' section was dead, so if this seems a little familiar, it is because I took down the old one and added some more stuff to this.

First things first... LOOK AT WHAT MY FIANCE GOT ME FOR MY BIRTHDAY AND JUST ARRIVED TODAY, JUST LOOK AT THAT, I'M FREAKING OUT.

Image


This is my sonic screw pen... it sounds wrong when you say it out loud... Sonic screw driver pen. Sounds better. Hopefully writing with it will make me have more inspiration. It sounds silly, but if I have a great pen, I am more prone to write than if I have a crappy, regular one... so yeah.

Onto the topic on the title, I would like to discuss something that I've been seeing al ot lately on my FB newsfeed, since I follow the NaNoWriMo community page and this question has been popping out a lot: How do you prepare yourself to write a story?

I've been on a hiatus for a little over a month and my usual writing preparation routine is simply not working, so I'm looking for other people's insights or tips to get rid of this hiatus.

What I would normally do is simply to start listening to music; I have playlists for different types of moods, so I listen to them according to how I'm feeling on the moment to get more in the mood. I always start a story on a notebook; I cannot for the life of me begin a story on the computer; I just get so distracted. Once I have whatever amount pages I've managed to complete by handwriting, I then begin passing it to the computer and it is there that I begin editing, adding stuff, and continuing the story. That's it; that is how I prepare myself to write.

I've tried to do my regular preparation routine these past month (months?), but I just can't get my fucking shit together. Nothing I do works and it ends up coming out like crap. So, what do you do to prepare for writing? How do you get inspiration?

I've been reading a lot of NaNo participants putting together a "survival package" that includes their favorite treats and drinks, books, online stories, playlists, or other sources of inspiration. I doubt this would work with me, but I'm really willing to try anything.
October 23rd, 2013 at 02:17am