Character/Plot Cliches I'm Tired of Seeing

I would like you to share your own. This is just a list of cliche characters and plots that I've seen too many times and some of them aren't even accurate.

Cliches
There's a mean girl. She blonde and skinny with above-average sized breasts. She is the cheerleading captain and a complete slut. Her arch-nemesis is the emo girl dressed in dark colored clothes who's motto is "Music is my life." Please, no.
Image

A band member has sex with some girl. Sixteen (Why are main girl characters always at the crucial age of sixteen?) a teenage girl shows up at the door and claims to be his daughter. He never questions this, just welcomes her into his life with open arms. Can we please throw in a paternity test?
Image

There is a dark scary high school delinquent and an uber flamboyant, below average height, rainbow wearing ADHD having boy. Even though they start out disliking each other, it was a huge misunderstanding and they fall in love.
Image

I've seen this complaint in many blogs but someone gets raped and they begin to like it. This wouldnt happen. If you were getting raped you wouldnt be begging for more.
Image

No one practices safe sex. There are always pregnancy surprises, most of the time twins.
Image

Does there always have to be a happy-ending? In the epilogue, 10 years down the road the couple that got together in 9th grade are still together. That is rare.
Image

Starting the first chapter off with the alarm ringing.
Image

I'm not trying to bash people who write like this but I will challenge you to dig deeper. Step away from cliches and make your own path. Thats why research helps a lot when writing. Years ago these scenarios would have been plot twists but not they are overused and expected

ImageImage
October 24th, 2013 at 04:03pm