About Stories And Writing.

Hello there, friends! It's been awhile. I have been absent lately for several reasons. I've been very busy in my personal life and I've also been kind of hiding in the shadows on this site because well....there's a lot of reasons for that. I'd rather not get into it because it will just cause some big controversy and that's what I've been trying to avoid. My close friends know how I feel about some things and why I've taken a step back and that's what's most important to me. They are the ones who really need to know my business in depth.

So moving on....I know some of you authors can get discouraged when you see a lot of people talking about what they hate or dislike in stories. It's just their opinion and they are allowed to state it but don't let it get you down or make you feel like your writing is lack luster. Not everyone will like some of the ideas or plot cliches you put in a story and that's okay. It doesn't make you any less of an author and it doesn't make the quality of your writing any less just because it's their opinion. I've decided to list what I personally DO like seeing in stories. Hopefully this will cheer some of you up and maybe make you feel not so....discouraged with your writing.

1.I love when people go in depth with their dialogue. I'm aware that sometimes you don't always have to add in "she said, he added, she murmured," after or before every sentence of dialogue but I personally like doing that in my writing and I like seeing that in the stories I read. I sometimes get confused when there's just dialogue sentences going back and forth between two characters for a long time but there's no distinction or words describing who said or spoke what. I'm not saying that if you don't add the descriptions that you annoy me, I'm just saying that's what I personally like. It makes it easier for me to read and comprehend the dialogue faster.

2.When people take the time to research their stories. I'm not saying you should sit around for hours just researching one detail that will go into your story but a little background learning about certain topics can really help your story. It's nice when people are factual when it comes to things like mental disorders, religion, sexual orientation, illnesses, curses such as vampirism and other things. I can usually tell when someone has went in depth to research a topic they include in their story because it really shows in the writing itself. I'm not downing you if you're not into research, though. To each their own. :) This really comes in handy too when you are writing fan fiction. If you're writing about a certain band member and you're trying to be as detailed as possible when it comes to the facts about them....you probably want to make sure you get their eye color or other things about their appearance correct. I mean if you give M.Shadows blue eyes that's fine but be prepared because some people may try and correct you that his eyes are hazel. I mean if you want to make his eyes blue...or give your famous characters different looks that's totally okay....it just may make people curious if you've done your homework on the band or not. That was just an example. I'm not singling any fandom or story out.

3.I downright like when people write whatever the hell they want to. I think a lot of people forget that when someone writes a story in the fiction genre.....it is just that....FICTION. Not every detail or the way a character acts in the story will be how things or people are in real life. I mean isn't that one of the main reasons to write fiction? For me....one of the reasons I write fiction is because I can take a character and send them through crazy adventures that probably wouldn't happen in real life. Fiction allows you to use your imagination whether it be Fan Fiction or Original Fiction. It allows you to take normal people out of normal, everyday situations and make them experience strange things and put them into abnormal circumstances. If I wanted to read a story that was made of up entire truth down to every detail, then I would go read stories that were labeled as, True Stories.

4.This ties in with number 3 kind of but I enjoy the fact that any author is brave enough to write something. I mean no matter what it is. The fact that you are out there writing and posting your fiction or stories on a site....is just amazing. You should really give yourself more credit. It's tough for a lot of people to write in general....let alone post their work for other eyes to see. I mean especially when there are a lot of critical people out there. I'm not talking folks who offer constructive criticism....I'm talking people who are down right rude, cynical, critical and have something negative to say about everything an author posts. Those types of people can make it difficult for some authors to want to even post anything further. I also think it's kind of sad for people to call these users sensitive and say things like, "Well that author is just too sensitive and needs to learn how to take criticism." That's not right in my opinion......I mean if you are actually offering someone constructive criticism and you post it in a mannerly and nice fashion....then there is nothing wrong with that. But if you look down on someone's story because it didn't fit the "list" of things you like reading or your personal interests....then that's kind of rude in my opinion. We should be lifting each other up as writers no matter if we aren't personally into what they're into writing. So if you post your work on here or any site, especially when you know that there may be someone who will leave rude comments, then I applaud you and your courage. Hold onto that because it will help you to succeed and keep writing.

5.I like when there is smut in stories.Period. I personally don't really compare smut to other smut either. Like I won't sit there while reading a story and just grade the quality of someone's smut writing abilities. I like reading smut of all kinds and I enjoy to see the author's personal take on it in their stories. That's just me though. If you're picky about the smut you read...I can respect that.

Now onto things that don't bother/do bother me personally but may or may not other people when it comes to stories.

-I don't care if a story has a layout or not. I mean I would prefer to read stories with layouts because it helps give you a visual setting or idea for the story but I don't think it's needed to make a great story. I think a lot of people have become used to seeing layouts with stories that are posted online. If you think about it though, published books don't have layouts. They are just printed in a book on white pages. So I mean to say someone's story on here completely sucks because it doesn't have a layout is kind of judging a book by it's cover. Clearly no one takes a chance to read the story itself because of a missing layout. I mean there's nothing wrong with that I guess I'm just more easily amused and content then some people. I honestly don't mean that statement rude either or like I'm better than anyone. Some people have more...selective tastes than others. It's natural.

-I personally don't think it's necessary to threaten people in the summary section. I mean that is against the rules now on here but while it may be a bit harsh.....I did laugh at some of the threats. I mean I can't remember exactly but someone said something along the lines of, "If you steal, I'm gonna have a big alligator chew you to pieces." Or there was one like, "Steal this and I'll send a bunch of scary scene ghosts to kill you in the night." Hahaha I'm sorry....I'm laughing as I'm writing this. I mean I'm not trying to make light of threats because they aren't a laughing matter but some of them were just hilarious. However....while I don't think those threats were a good idea, I do however think that it should be okay to place warnings in your summary. There have been some users who have placed an NC17 rating on their story. Like they rate the actual story as NC17 as well as mention in the summary that it's rated that. Well...even though authors do that....there have been people who will come along, read the story and then go leaving really mean and nasty comments on the story saying that they were never warned there would be such horrible things as rape or abuse in the story and then they proceed to bitch the author out. Some of us authors have been dealing with snide remarks like that for awhile so we now feel like we're obligated to put individual descriptions of more "mature rated" materials in our summaries. I mean at least then we give people an in depth briefing of what type of content may appear in the story. Also....if a person chooses to ignore those descriptions and read the story anyway and then they go make rude comments.....we can all clearly see that they didn't even bother to read the summary or they just wanted to read something they hate on purpose just to bitch about it later. So yes....I personally feel like I have to be on the defense sometimes in my summaries because of rude people and how they've been in the past. If someone doesn't want to continue to read my story because of my summary....that's totally fine and their decision. Someone else will read my story and enjoy it so I'm not taking any losses regardless.

-I'm not even going to touch on Fan Fiction VS Original Fiction because apparently that's the Mibba weekly controversial topic that's making everyone pissed off lol. I'll just say that I've written both Fan Fiction and Original Fiction and I love them both equally. I don't think either one is harder to write either, personally. With Fan Fiction you can write about your favorite celebrity or famous person and put them into any situations you want. With Original Fiction you get a chance to develop and invent your own characters and then place them into any situations that you want. Either way I enjoy writing about them both and reading about them both. I really don't understand why everyone is at war over the topic. If you don't like reading or writing one of those fictions....then that should be accepted as long as you're not bashing the other fiction you're not into. I won't say that Original Fictions are harder to get feedback from because when I posted an Original Fiction, I got about the same feedback as my Fan Fictions that everyone loves too. So for me personally....I can't speak on the behalf of which fiction gets more praise. I will say that it seems a lot of people read Fan Fiction more....but there are people like me out there who enjoy reading both fictions equally. I will read Fan Fiction and Original.

I probably forgot something but honestly....I meant no disrespect with this blog and it's not directed to any other users or blogs. This blog has been a long time coming for me to write. I've tried my best to go through everything and make sure none of it comes off as rude and arrogant. My intentions here were to try and make some authors who feel like their work is being down played feel better. I know it's hard not to get frustrated with your stories when someone makes a not so nice comment but just try and look at it like that's just their opinion and even if it was rude....their interests are not the same as yours. Try your best to ignore them and don't buy into that little voice inside of your head that says, "Maybe they are right and I'm just a terrible writer." Don't feel stupid or weak if you've felt like that. We've all been insecure about our writing.....I know I have. You just have to keep with it and keep remembering why you started writing or what you love about writing so much. Be proud that you produced a story to begin with. You took thoughts out of your head and was able to successfully place them in sentences that ended up making a story! There are people in the world who may not get the chance to write stories at all.

I just want you to feel confident enough with your writing so that if someone talks shit about it....you can let that shit roll off your back because you know...deep down inside yourself that what you write was enjoyable to you and decent. Sure people make mistakes in stories and in writing but that is what this site is for. It's for us writers from all walks of life to be able share our work with each other and gain feedback. Since I've been on this site I have become a much better writer because people were kind enough to nicely tell me what I did wrong. I thank each and every one of those people because they helped me achieve confidence in my writing. That's such a wonderful gift to give someone. Thanks to anyone who has ever inspired me, gave me positive words, supported me, read my stories and didn't jump the gun to say rude things or call my stories trash.

This site is supposed to be a community but sometimes it can feel like a war zone. There have been times myself where I wanted to leave but I made the unselfish decision to stay since there are important and loving people on here that love me and would be sad to see me go. I just want us all to get along. I'm not saying that you should not speak your mind. We all know that I'm all for that....I'm just saying maybe look over the way you're presenting what you have to say. Sometimes the way you word something can really make a big difference and can either have a positive or totally negative affect on people. I'm not trying to tell any of you how to act on here....I'm just suggesting it and preaching to myself as well. If we go the extra mile to not be so negative constantly....maybe things will start to lighten up around here. :)
October 27th, 2013 at 01:02am