Please Fill Out This Survey! + The Meaning of Liff

Okay, so, I'm doing an investigation into English as a world language for part of my A-Level in English Language and I'm doing a quick survey about tourism and travel, so if you could fill out this survey I made (seriously it'll take you five minutes and I'll mush some cookies into the router and email them to you if you do) I'd be eternally grateful.

CLICK!

Also just to fill up the space I just received my copy of The Deeper Meaning of Liff by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd (basically this book where they got a list of stupid place names and gave the place names a purpose by making them mean something that there isn't a word for yet) and here are some of my favourite words:

Famagusta (n.) The draught which whistles between two bottoms that refuse to touch.

Goole (n.) The puddle on the bar into which the barman puts your change.

Gubblecote (n.) Deformation of the palate caused by biting into too many Toblerones.

Grimsby (n.) A lump of something gristly and foul-tasting concealed in a mouthful of stew or pie. Grimsbies are sometimes the result of careless cookery, but more often they are placed there deliberately by Freemasons. Grimsbies can be purchased in bulk from any respectable Masonic butcher on giving him the secret Masonic handbag. One is then placed in a guest's food to see if he knows the correct Masonic method of dealing with it. This is as follows: remove the grimsby carefully with the silver tongs provided. Cross the room to your host, hopping on one leg, and ram the grimsby firmly up his nose, chanting, "Take that, you smug Masonic bastard."

Hassop (n.) The pocket down the back of an armchair used for storing 10p pieces and bits of Lego.

Hastings (pl.n.) Things said on the spur of the moment to explain to someone who unexpectedly comes into the room precisely what you're doing.

Hever (n.) The panic caused by half-hearing a Tannoy in an airport.

Hosmer (vb.) (Of a newsreader) To continue to stare impassively into the camera when it should have already switched to the sports report.

Joplin (n.) The material from which all the clothes in Woolworths were made.

Kabwum (n.) The cutesy humming noise you make as you go to kiss someone on the cheek.

Kalami (n.) The ancient Eastern art of being able to fold road maps properly.

Lingle (vb.) To touch battery terminals with one's tongue.

Malibu (n.) The height by which the top of a wave exceeds the height to which you have rolled up your trousers.

AND TO ROUND THINGS OFF HERE'S A PICTURE OF ROBERT DOWNEY JR IN A SUPERMARKET

Image
October 28th, 2013 at 04:48pm