What Drives You?

So, over the past few days, i have been pondering over what exactly to post as my next blog. I feel a great need to try and present as much unbiased intelligent information as possible (not saying that i am completely unbiased, just that i admit my shortcomings and try to grow from them). Finally, an idea struck me.

What exactly is your driving force in life? What makes you get up and want to move around everyday. But more than that, what in your life keeps you a "good" person. What drives you to try and achieve the best things possible for yourself, and to grow as a person? Now ask yourself this, if it is not yourself, then are you content living by someone else's will and not your own?

I myself went through quite a great period of time where i did not live for myself. First (as with all children), i lived for my parents. However, some people do not realize exactly how long the influence of a parent actually lasts when it comes to your development. Subconsciously up until you hit 14+ it really is the biggest driving force in your life, so it is not entirely bad for you to live for your parents. At least, it isnt bad up until a point. You have parents for a reason, they are there to help teach you the most basic things in life and act as the moral and emotional grounding for young minds to grow. However, what would your life be if all you did was for your parents? At some point you must take the leap from nest to air and push them away.

After that i became obsessed with the idea of living up to your destiny. I did everything on this self-conceived notion that i had a path that i had to follow, and i had to watch myself at every corner to make sure that i did not slip from it. This in and of itself is not bad, but it is whenever someone (like me at that time) is hindering themselves or forcing themselves into beliefs and ideals because they think that that is their path. At that time, i was living not for myself, but for my idea of the divine. I was doing what i thought i had to do for my higher justice.

Alot of people on this site are like this, i suspect. You desperately grasp onto a belief and conform your own life and goals into it. The other type that i believe gains alot of followers is the type that does absolutely nothing. They live for nothing and no one. While, yes, that may sound good at first (especially after the other groups that we have seen), but it is not at all once you break it down and look at what it really is.

This last type is the type of people that give no higher thought to anything at all. If asked about their faith they will most likely say Christian, yet they will know nothing about the faith at all. They are generalized as the stoner or ultra-preppy groups of people. While they do not live for anyone else, they do not live for themselves either. You could even say that they dont live at all.

Finally, i am in a place where i can say that i live for myself. I feel as though a lot of people will be angry and say that i am a “satanist”, or an “uncaring, unfeeling, person”, when none of this is true. I do what i believe to be correct for myself. Not for my parents, not for my friends, not for my religion. Yes, i am a highly spiritual person, but i do not do it for any reason like that. I do it because that is they way to live. It puts you in a place where you cannot blame anyone for anything. You take full responsibility for everything that happens to you, for you could always have done something better.

Live for yourself. Find your own standards, your own morals, own beliefs. It is truly the most liberating feel to fight for something you truly believe in (not something you truly believe in because all your friends do it, or you want to seem cool like the people you do see doing it).

Not to mention, if you do not live for someone else, you are always letting others dictate what you do, and you become a person with no self, no actual personal defining values, a robot.
October 30th, 2013 at 03:00am