The Sunday Film Review: The Talented Mr. Ripley

THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY (1999)
Staring: Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, Cate Blanchett
Director: Anthony Minghella
content certificate: 15
running time: 139 min
Genre(s): Psychological Thriller
rating: * * * * *

Tom Ripley is a man struggling to make ends meet while living in New York City. He meets a man named Herbert Greenleaf, who believes tom went to university with his son, Dickie. Herbert convinces Tom to travel to Italy in order to persuade Dickie to move back to America.
While in Italy, Tom befriends Meredith Logue before locating Dickie Greenleaf and his girlfriend Marge Sherwood. He lies to Dickie about them studying together, and after having dinner together they become friends.
Their friendship grows and matures until a tragic suicide occurs, and Tom has reason to believe that it was Dickies fault.
Over the last few months spent with Dickie, Tom has developed a particular fondness and desire for Dickie. Unfortunately, when Dickie grows tired of how dependant Tom has become, Tom realises that his affection for Dickie is not mutual.
As a talented forger and impersonater, Tom discovers he can manipulate everyone around him to do as he pleases...with disastrous and tragic consequences.

I enjoyed this film because of it's insane plot twists and surprises. The acting and location is also phenomenal. It did leave me slightly shaken up and shocked, but in the best way possible. I didn't even give it all away in the description, so i seriously suggest you watch this film.

Coming up soon: Zero Dark Thirty and Flight
November 3rd, 2013 at 08:42pm