Emo and Scene kids in stories. Ugh.

Okay, I have to get this off my chest. I really do. The whole 'Emo' and 'Scene' thing in stories. I have to vent about this.

Emo/Scene. Stop it, just stop it right now. I can NOT deal with the damn scene and emo kids anymore. It seems as though every time I open up a story that is supposed to be a band story or something, all of the characters look like these little jerks that had rainbows throw up on them. I used to be guilty of this, but now I see the annoyance and have changed my ways. But seriously, it needs to stop. Every character like that is the same too!

Girl: Black/Red/Pink/Purple/Blue/Green/RAINBOW hair, eyes caked in eyeliner like a raccoon, loads of piercings that make them look like a tackle box, teased hair, super skinny jeans with an obnoxious shirt. Then don't forget their personality: ZOMG LET'S EAT CUPCAKES AND WATCH INVADER ZIM AND LISTEN TO BOTDF. WAIT, WE HATE THEM, LULZ, LET'S LISTEN TO SOMETHING MORE HARDCORE. LULZ, SCENIE WEENIE FO LIFE! or .. Ugh, I hate my life. Let me cut myself because my mom yelled at me for no reason. God, life is so hard. Let me cut myself some more. Oh, wait, the guy I love just texted me and said he loves me, I have to stop. Wait, no.. I can't!

Boy: Same thing as the girl, literally, the exact same thing.

Now, I'm not trying to be completely rude. But it's true. That just seems to be how every character is for certain stories. And I used to be an offender of this, but then I started to realize that it's annoying and just stupid. The cutting thing is overplayed - I still use it sometimes - and they seem to make the character do it for no reason whatsoever.

Seriously, why does the character self-harm? Is it just because their mom yelled at them? Or do they have a deeper meaning to the whole situation. Have they gone through something so horrible that they have no other way to cope? What is it. I really want to know. They didn't just pick up an object one day and start cutting themselves for the hell of it. DEVELOP THE CHARACTER.

AND WITH THE WHOLE SELF-HARM THING. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. I'M JUST SAYING THAT IT IS SO OVERPLAYED IN CERTAIN STORIES FOR NO REASON AT ALL. And I'm not saying that 'emo' or 'scene' kids do it. That's just the cliche that typically floats around.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I just had to get it off my chest.
November 5th, 2013 at 10:10pm