story trends i don't understand?

I've no doubt there's probably a thread in the forums for this, but I figured it'd be easier to just make this a blog. I don't seem to see this as much on Mibba, as I do on Wattpad and whenever I read stories on Tumblr, but since I have seen them on here too, might as well, right?

Note that these are just things I don't get - plots that turn me off personally. You're not less of a writer if you write about either of these things.

1. I can't understand stories where a girl gets kidnapped and then falls in love with her kidnapper. I mean... what? I'm not even talking about the stories where they end of "kidnapping" them because they want to protect them or something; I can get those, kind of. I don't get how the person who was kidnapped can possibly fall in love with her kidnapper, especially if it beings that the kidnapper is torturing the kidnapee(?). I just- I don't know.

2. These are so much more common and I find these mainly in au fan fictions: when, usually set in high school, the celebrity is some badass character and the girl is, more or less, an outcast/nerd who has little to no friends and then - out of nowhere - the badass celebrity approaches the girl and, I kid you not, it goes a little something like this:

Liam's eyes met mine in the deserted hallway. I knew I should've been hurrying to class as he screamed trouble, but I couldn't bring myself to look away. He began to walk toward me and I felt like I was frozen in my spot. His piercings glistened under the school lights and his tattoos were peeking out of his clothes. He was finally in front of me and he had me pressed up against the lockers, his lips at my ear. "You're mine," he whispered seductively.

it's late and that's the best quality i could come up with okay

And then she says you don't own me until two chapters later when they're in love. I mean, okay, I understand dominance kinks, I do. And, believe me, I can appreciate a punk au just as much as the next person but I mean... really? All I can picture is a dog coming up to a tree and pissing on it, marking it as his territory whenever I read something like that. I instantly just click back and try to pretend I never read it.

Maybe I'm just not into that type of storyline or something? It just seems super weird to me and I just can't read it.

once again, not bashing anybody who's written a story with this plot; it's only my opinion!
November 10th, 2013 at 05:06am