I Think Warnings Are Important...

Like, you know, TW and stuff. I mean, in my opinion, even if the rating is set at NC-17, it doesn't mean that the reader will know absolutely everything that will be in the story and will be 100% comfortable with it knowing that. I have had troubles with self-harm, I'll admit it right now, and it's not something I'm proud of. It's the dumbest thing I've ever done, it was selfish, I put my parents through a lot when they found out and I regret it more than anything else in my short life. I never feel comfortable reading a story that involves self-harm, I don't feel comfortable watching it, either. I couldn't get through the first episode of AHS because of the scene in which Tate walks in on Violet cutting herself. I can't do it. I can't watch it, I can't read it, and if I do come across it in a story or TV show or movie or anything, I will immediately stop reading or watching it.

It makes me feel really uncomfortable, and that's something I don't want for someone who's reading my stuff. I don't want them to feel uncomfortable for reading my stuff if it includes something that they don't like.

And rating the story NC-17 isn't enough, in my opinion. Rating a story NC-17 could be done for many reasons, whether it's because of sexual content, violence or disturbing subject matter. It's not going to cover everything, a person could go into a story expecting something different than what the story actually is. And I think that's the case with some of my stories, because I like to keep the summaries vague. I don't know, I just think that it's better to put that than to make someone uncomfortable by what I've written without warning them first.
November 10th, 2013 at 11:01pm