Glossary: Silver City

This is a glossary for my story Silver City.

1 Endless Moon: A three-night period in which the sun doesn't leave the horizon. There is no day or night, only perpetual twilight. During these three nights, the magik of the fae is most dangerous. The endless moon appears only once every half-millennia.

2 Lunus: On the fourth night of the endless moon, the sun finally sets and the moon rises, full and at its apex. This night, there is no sun and the fae world is drenched in darkness. The fae world celebrates this event with a rare festival in which both the Seelie and Unseelie courts attend. An often uneasy truce is called and no fae blood is to be shed. During the lunus, no matter the season, both courts are viewed (publicly) as equals and behave as such.

3 Logan's Transformation: According to fae folklore, a human can become 'immortal' as a fae if he devours the body, mind, and soul (blood) of a full-blooded fae. As time passes, the effects of the transformation wear off and the blood of that fae (or his kin) must be drunk to replenish the life.

This transformation must begin on the first day of the endless moon and completed by the lunus – when the fae are at their strongest and their magik most potent. With proper distribution of the full-fae's blood, the transformation should last five centuries. At the end of this time, a new sacrifice must be made at the next endless moon.

While the ritual itself isn't forbidden, the murder of any fae without permission from the High Judgment Court is. Permission is rarely granted – there are only three known cases4 – but some older fae have been known to sacrifice their lives to immortalize an extraordinary human.

Lesser fae5 are often victims of endless moon transformations, as they hold less political clout in the fae world and are unable to bring a claim against any fae in the High Judgment Court. Even so, they are not considered prime candidates for the sacrifice. Humans transformed from lesser fae have been known to begin expiration much sooner, rarely making it to the next endless moon.
November 12th, 2013 at 07:33pm