Warnings + "Don't like don't read"

If I see a story on here with an intriguing title, I'll click on it. If I read the summary and I see something like

"Warning: There will/may be rape, violence, abuse, strong language, etc.. DON'T LIKE DON'T READ."

I will immediately click away without hesitation. Not because I don't reading those things, but because that warning is just so... unprofessional. If I go into a story, I should either 1) know what it's about already or 2) know what it's about from the summary. You should be able to indicate that there will be abuse and strong language and all of those other bad things from the summary (i.e., just put "[character] suffers from drug addiction" or "[character] is abused by [character] constantly."). I think almost everyone is mature enough to actually be able to go into a story and if they encounter something so unbearable that they can't handle it they will just stop reading.

Another thing I can't handle (mainly in fanfiction is)

"Disclaimer: I DO NOT OWN [insert band name/famous person here]!!"
(unless it's something like what i did for my story dreamland for the cover photo)

Well OBVIOUSLY you don't own them. You can't own a person or people. And obviously people understand that if they're reading a fan fiction about Sleeping with Sirens thE AUTHOR DOESN'T OWN SLEEPING WITH SIRENS. There is no need to put anything like, "I own everything except blah blah" because 1) no one is concerned about that and 2) it's not like you're going to get sued when you use New York as a setting.

If I see either of these, I will probably click away. Also, the little "(c) 2013 [username/name]" thing is also unneeded. By law, if you write something, it is yours unless plagiarized. If you stole it, you are committing a crime. There is 0 need to make it known that you wrote it with a copyright label. It's already yours, you already own the copyrights, unless you stole it.

for the record, i have nothing against trigger warnings, and i feel as if they do a lot of good.
November 12th, 2013 at 09:28pm