the difference in fanfiction and original fiction

I've noticed recently it's an issue on whether fanfiction is "real" writing and apparently some people don't even want it here. I agree with neither of those, personally, but we've all got opinions. A lot of people say that fanfiction is more noticed, gets more attention, etc. I do agree with that and here's why.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FF AND OF

Obviously, one is about a real life/already imagined person (does that make sense?). But other than that, if I want to read an original fiction story, I have a huge selection. Even if I figure out what kind of subgenre story that I'd like to read, I still have a big selection. Going through, I can read about Darren who is a mysterious but caring guy, or Kevin who is sensitive and deep, or- you get my point, right? There are so many different lives you can read about.

If I want to read a fanfiction about, let's say, Harry Styles. All I've got to do is go to the search bar, type in Harry Styles and wah-la! I've found exactly what I am looking for. Sure, there's AUs and different plots and different OCs, but it's all about Harry Styles, someone who I've already decided I wanted to read about. I don't have to test the waters on an original story to see if I really do want to read about your OC or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all fanfiction is the same at all. I'm not saying it's better than original fiction or worse. I'm horrible at explaining things whoops

WHAT FF AND OF HAVE IN COMMON

They are both written by people who (most likely) have the same dream that you do. They both enjoy writing and, usually, enjoy what they're writing about. May it be about witches or celebrities or humans or Perry the goblin with three legs and an arm - they're all writing about what they want. If people like it, great. If they don't, that's their problem. Different people have different tastes but authors usually all have the same idea - they want to write.


That being said, the best way to get readers is to write for yourself and nobody else. Don't write to get readers and comments because if a story is lacking passion, your reader can most likely tell and lack of passion is probably one of the biggest things that can cause a story to spiral downward.

I'm going to go watch Stuck In Love for the billionth time, because Lily Collins, Logan Lerman and Nat Wolff all make my heart skip. Let's all just try to remember that their are people behind these usernames that have feelings too - even the big, bad, scary admins. Be nice! <3
November 15th, 2013 at 11:12pm