My Interview with ''Deus Ex Machina'' and ''Lyndon Lockwood''

Hello everyone. ::mrgreen:

Today we'll start our interviews with the lovely Deus Ex Machina. This girl writes only original fiction and the genre she focuses more on is thriller. If you are into these types of stories, I totally recommend her writings. Her series are awesome so I suggest starting with The Passion Paradox series and Coldblooded. I really wanted to drop a comment there but I don't know what to say; she always leaves me with my mouth open, no kidding. Her writings are awesome and if she had published them, I'd buy them for sure.

Now it's blog entries digging time. ::tehe:
I'd suggest reading these, if you find these sujects interesting:
Wading through the bandfics.
Why I think psychiatry is a scam.
I hide my fanfiction and original fiction from people I know because I'm ashamed.
In the real world, you can't report people.
My story is just becoming the biggest, most insane soap opera.
Ana Steele's "inner goddess" needs to get the eff out of "Fifty Shades of Grey".

And with that, we reached question time. ::coffee:

01. Would you tell us your full name?

Catherine Cole.

02. How long have you been on mibba?

Uhhh, about five years, I think. It's been a while.

03. Are you posting your writings on other writing sites?

Yup, I post on FictionPress and FanFiction under "Malevolent Reverie".

04. Since when have you been writing?

I started when I was ten or twelve in notebooks and moved on to typing around 13.

05. Could you tell us a brief summary of your stories.

Very dark, usually involving some kind of psychological theme, and they all have romance. I have a kink for psychopaths and fantasy.

06. What inspired you to write each story?

My own twisted inner workings. Also, Hannibal Lecter.

07. Which characters did you like more from each story you created and why?

My all-time favorite is Liev Gunter, Nikolai and Adel's son. I think it's because he was the most gruesome out of the bunch and after writing about him for so long, I grew really attached.

08. Do you do research before writing?

Yes, I certainly do. I can't guarantee it's 100% accurate but I try my hardest.

09. Is there an author on here whose work you like or is your inspiration?

Not really. I write more than I read. But, Canis Lupis is a good friend of mine and a good writer.

10. Do you like experimenting while writing? Writing about stuff you haven't experienced and genres you never thought you'd write about?

Not really; it's hard for me to be motivated when I'm not in love with the material.

11. What's the hardest story you've ever wrote?

In regards to content? My fanfictions frequently delve into worse situations than my originals on Mibba. Prose-wise, probably Coldblooded.

12. What does writing mean to you?

It's a way of relaxing and getting out my good ideas I wish I could read from other people.

13. About what was the first story you ever wrote? Could you tell us a little bit more about it?

I wrote a Pokemon fanfiction when I was really young and it was absolutely horrible. My first coherent story that is admittedly in need of editing was The Passion Paradox and it's a dark romance about a psychopath and his therapist.

14. What's the story you're most proud of?

The Mask of Sanity. I liked how I became more comfortable writing Liev.

15. What is your biggest writing weakness?

I'm kind of terrible at dialogue. I can write it properly but I get too OCD with how it looks.

16. Are you more of a writer or a reader?

Definitely writer.

17. Do you read all kinds of fiction?

Don't read much fiction at all anymore. Too many vampires.

18. Do you prefer original fiction or fan fiction?

Fanfiction because nothing is really original at this point.

19. Do you write stories with all kinds of ratings?

Nope, usually R or NC-17.

20. What's the genre you are most comfortable with?

Horror/thriller/romance. I kind of group them all together at this point.

21. Which genres and ratings do you prefer when you pick a story to read?

R or NC-17. I don't like demure writings.

22. What's the hardest character you've ever wrote?

Sebastien from Coldblooded was tougher than I thought, being 6000 years old and everything. It's hard to make him communicate with an 18 year old human, and he's incredibly complicated.

23. Is there a certain place you like to be when you write? Something you have to do in order to concentreate on writing?

I have to be in almost utter silence and I usually write in my dorm or bedroom.

24. In which of the characters you created, do you see yourself? (If there is a character like that)

Liev. :) But not with the whole "I want to fuck my sister" spiel. More of the "narcissistic sociopath".

25. When you have writer's block, what do you do to get back to writing?

Pray it goes away because I am absolutely at its mercy.

26. If you were a character in a novel, how do you think you would be? Is there a character of a published novel which could be you?

The leader. I'd be pushy and try to get my way, and harshly critical. I wouldn't be a very personable character.

27. Which is your favorite character from a published novel?

Atticus Finch.

28. How often do you update?

On here? Never again. I update my fanfictions a few times a week and my originals on FP once a month or so. Whatever gets more feedback gets updated.

29. Any words for your readers?

You're all fantastic and a lot of you have been with me from my shaky beginnings. You're the best.

30. Any authors you like and inspire you? (novels/graphic books)

Thomas Harris, I guess, but only because of how he characterizes Hannibal.

-Thanks for this. ::hug: ^-^
-You're very welcome. I hope you enjoyed yourself.

The next interview is with the amazing Lyndon Lockwood. I found him when I was reading his historical original fictions. If you want to read a good crime/thriller original story, then go and read Time to Try. If you want to check the historical story I enjoyed, then read The Yorkist Rose.

You should totally check out his articles. They are awesome and I'm not kidding. Here are the ones I enjoyed reading:
The Correctness of English: A Decaying Language
Who's to Blame: The Parents, the Children or the Health Professionals?
Schizophrenia: Simple Insanity?
DSM-V: the New Way to Mental Health
The Brain, the Split Brain and the Split Brain Patient
The Lifespan of Development
Racism: Psychology's Place in an Unequal World
Neuroanatomy I: The Nervous System
Neuroanatomy II: The Visual System
and you should check this blog entry as well:
Independent Thinker? Or Just Creative Plagerism?

And with that, we reached question time. ::coffee:

01. Would you tell us your full name?

My full name, well, I don't really use my real name! Most commonly I'm known as Sketch. Sketch Lockwood.

02. How long have you been on mibba?

I think about 3 years? Though I could stand for correction!

03. Are you posting your writings on other writing sites?

Fanfiction.net - Myron Bolitar Series
Archiveofourown.org The White Queen and 15th Century RPF
Anything posted on the second one though is availible on here!

04. Since when have you been writing?

Since childhood, I was brought up in a really literate family! I loved being read to in the nursery and so I thought I'd try my hand at writing too. I think I wrote my first story at 6, I dont still have it thank the lord, for it was terrible.

05. Could you tell us a brief summary of your stories.

[Basically, I write anything from crime thriller to history (which tends to come with romance and suspense too!) Most stories - no all stories - have atleast one death in them somewhere, so I guess if you want a happy story, don't take the time to read my work! Though most of them have some form of happy ending, theres a lot of dark things too. Why? Well I guess I see the darkside of humanity, I think it's important to portray it. You'd have to read my stories to find out more. Any one, pick any one.

06. What inspired you to write each story?

At risk of sounding cliche? Anything, I never know what will inspire me. I can go months, sometimes years without a single idea and then BOOM, they hit you all at once, I could be walking down the street and see a leaf, or listening to a song and an idea strikes, then I grab my note book or open a word document and just type, I dont think at all, just let the words flow and read it later. If the idea's there I'll see the work I did later.

07. Which characters did you like more from each story you created and why?

I'll say I love all my characters, they're my babies as such. But if I had to choose? I'd say I always prefer the male characters, not for sexism or anuything like that but my reasons are two fold. 1, they tend to be my main characters, 2 I relate to them much more. I guess my favourite character (of my creation) must be Lyndon Kaller, my lovely youthful assassin, why? He's been patched together with everything I have or wanted, despite his career,. he's a complex soul and the first character I've been able to put my psych interests into, which was fun. I loved writing his female uh, playmate, Fayth too. She's amazing. But pick any character I write about and I love them, even the historical ones, look at the Yorkist Rose, Edward truly interested me and William Hastings also! Interesting guys.

08. Do you do research before writing?

Depends what I'm writing! Recently, yes I've done plent of research before writing. Probably due to the period I'm writing about currently. Memorising the dates and gaining different opinions. I've read I think every fiction and non-fiction book about the 15th Century, my family are getting rather sick of it as I'm reading away, they dont even have to ask anymore. But even in writing my last Lyndon Kaller story, where I indeed introduced Lyndon I've done alot of research, about creating him - his mental health and physiological state. I even took a trip to London for it and stayed in the hotel he stayed in to get a view of it. So yes, I research, but it could be classed as pleasure research also.

09. Is there an author on here whose work you like or is your inspiration?

On here? So many people are on here! Honestly? I think it would be unfair to say yes, because so many people on here work really hard on their works and so many are really sound writers with great work. it would be hard to way up the thousands and say yes, I like you.. So no, I credit alot of work on here and would say each gives me inspiration and hope in their own little ways.

10. Do you like experimenting while writing? Writing about stuff you haven't experienced and genres you never thought you'd write about?

I never thought I'd write historical fiction. So yes, I guess I do, I suppose also I have pushed the limits on some of my works (my more recent ones mainly). Since the release of books like fifty shades of grey, I dont know, erotica has seemed more accepted(?) so I've been more comfortable in writing it, and writing scenes more violent or politically incorrect, certainly more shock worthy which is great, it makes writing medieval fiction far easier!

11. What's the hardest story you've ever wrote?

That would have to be Time to Try, it took me so long! During it I had to face so many problems which came up in it which related to me and my life personally. I had a nervous break down when writing it and I think it came out in some of the work. Yet the hardest certainly is one of the most rewarding and it helped me persevere and connect with my characters. So much so, I'm writing the second one, even if it is at a snails pace.

12. What does writing mean to you?

Everything, I love writing. I believe more can be expressed in a well written piece than can ever roll from ones' tongue. I have explained things, process and feelings, views and opinions in my works which i would never be able to express in the spoken word so I guess its a release, things can be done in fiction which in the real world arent even permissible to think.

13. About what was the first story you ever wrote? Could you tell us a little bit more about it?

Like I said, my first story I was six, I dont really remember it! It was likely about rabbits or something.... Maybe a horse or two! So the first story I remember writing? Clear Visions, its up here actually! To be brief, really rich music producer found his father was not all he thought he was, things went down hill from there. Twists and turns, ups and downs, I guess your classic thriller kind of layout - with a difference.

14. What's the story you're most proud of?

Despite the fact it is riddled with mistakes - at least the copy on here is, the better version is on Wattpad or email me for the PDF document - is Time to Try, it's my own work, based off nothing, I havent taken history and twisted it, I havent looked at someone elses ideas and thought I like that, it's all mine and I thought of things in ways I hadnt before, I spent time planning as I hadnt before. Before it had been spontanious, lets do this and do it now, I like that and that but I took my inspirations from all over the place and bound them together, then used them to help me and the story. I was able to include characters in it that, for those who know me, will recognise bits of me in there, here and there. its complex, deep. I like it.

15. What is your biggest writing weakness?

Spelling, and the patience to go back and check! I used to have an editor, and I guess I still could if I asked him back, but he fell from favour when I moved to University and well, I was on my own. I invested in much fancy equipment to help with my work and I guess I could use it all to help me with my spelling but its finding the patience to go back and find the work then read over it whilst ZoomText reads to me... So then I get bored and move on. My attention span is short, I see pretty things and move on... Thats the problem at the moment, I cant take my eyes off pretty castles to write about assassins...

16. Are you more of a writer or a reader?

Give me the write genre and I'm both. I'd probably say I'm more of a writer, but anyone who wishes to challenege my interest in reading, please do, I'm coming to the end of a good book now and to save the investment of the second one till Christmas, anyone who sends me work I'd read it to avoid studying and spending precious money. If I like it enough you'll never get rid of me!

17. Do you read all kinds of fiction?

Many kinds yes, though my gran once tried to inflict feminine (not feminist) fiction on me. Dont give me drabble or romance, or mills and boon... I'd crumple into a ball and burn to ashes! But other than that, yes. I used to say no, not really I'm a crime/thriller guy, but since this summer my reading interests have strayed to the most unexpected places. I'm sure with a little subtle persausion I'd read almost anything.

18. Do you prefer original fiction or fan fiction?

Original. Fan fiction can be good, if written well, it just depends what you're a fan of. Its really subjective too. Original fiction you can follow the heart more, and as no one else knows the character but the author? Well theres no room for opinions on their personalities, its more enjoyable to read methinks.

19. Do you write stories with all kinds of ratings?

All kinds? I guess I could. Be lessheavy handed on my characters and more polite and politcally correct, then sure, I could. I have stories posted over different ratings, but I dont think any fall below PG, I'm the young adult - adult writer. I dont much cater for children, but hey one day, at request I might. Besies, all within reason, i dont think my work is too bad for the younger population, I just post the ratings high so I dont get the hate mail.

20. What's the genre you are most comfortable with?

That changes, to a point I'd be vain and say any. Modesty aside. Currently? I'm most comfortable with 15th Century fiction, thats where my life is going at the moment.... but I dont know, it changes so rapidly. If I get into it I'm comfortable writing most genres.

21. Which genres and ratings do you prefer when you pick a story to read?

Again, I'll be vague. Any, the higher rated stuff tends to be more interesting but only because I have a strange liking for darker things, for more adult themes and writers who dont worry about crossing that line, though if the line is crossed too far, I have been known to close the book (or page) and say enough. But higher ratings and thrillers. I'd say higher rated history, but I've not seen anyone on here write that!

22. What's the hardest character you've ever wrote?

That is hard to answer, because they each range from being easy to difficult to write for dependent what you put them through.... You'd know this though, I'm current having difficulty writing for Elizabeth of York's character in one of my works, she's a lovely girl on all accounts and all the books suggest she was a delightful girl at the time, loving to her parents and knew her position (of high rank!) but in the story I've put her through some pretty harsh times, as they have all been put through, so I think its self inflicted. ON a regular writing every scene thing? Lyndon, because he's so up and down, hot and cold, I have to get the balance between cold and detached psychopath and lovable victim right. He's so difficult for that reason. But truly inspiring to write for.

23. Is there a certain place you like to be when you write? Something you have to do in order to concentreate on writing?

At home, or in my office as I like to call it. I stay in a kinda bedsit thing five nights a week, for academic work, so I call that my office, its where my computer and notes and books are for the most point, so there is easy to write, I have everything I need two steps away and no one to disturb me unless I have my door open. So summer it can be quite distracrting! But when I'm home in my bedroom or the study. I cant write when people are around, unless they're writing with me.

24. In which of the characters you created, do you see yourself? (If there is a character like that)

Lyndon. Because he is made from me, literally, he is me wth a twist! I am him and he is me. Strange I know, he started off as any other character but then I related to him more and more and noticed I'd subconciously made someone with almost the exact same issues I have, a similar personality too. So I really relate to him, he's been through things I have and then some! He's not only my most relatable character but in many ways my inspiration, I often look at all he is and has been through (so my own creation) and am stuck between thinking, he knows how to handle that and oh my, I have a sick mind... But yes. All my characters (including one's I've borrowed!) have a bit of something I can relate to, even if I have to add it, else they would never make it onto here.

25. When you have writer's block, what do you do to get back to writing?

Wait, theres not a lot one can do.. I guess I often push myself, I'll force ideas or have long conversations with myself. When I'm at my office during term time, I'll try to study, that then tends to spark an idea. The best time I find to write is just after an assignment, there is then so much energy for creativity and a better writing style especially for my recent work. So yes, I guess read something I dont want to read, tends to do the trick.

26. If you were a character in a novel, how do you think you would be? Is there a character of a published novel which could be you?

Published character? I think I realte really well to Win in the Myron Bolitar series. Probably not the best comparison... I'd be the little one, the one who everyone thought was harmless, I'd probably also be the psycho killer ( See my Lyndon Kaller work) or the one who always had to be doing the right things (Leon Stellar, Ridley Chaucer) or, in the case of my historical fiction? I'd be like Edward, truly powerful, totally confused but damn loveable. That's just because I think I am that way.

27. Which is your favorite character from a published novel?

Win, (deal breaker, drop shot, back spin..... Espexially in Back Spin) because he is so.... different? he's so detached yet surprisingly easy to understand, if you want to take the time to udnerstand him.

28. How often do you update?

That ranges, I sometimes update three- four times daily, sometimes weekly, sometimes I wont update for months. I dont think I've updated Clear Visions for nearly two years now, or my Leon Stellar stories for a year... Yet the Yorkist Rose, Time to Try and Consequences of the Heart have been updated quite a lot recently. So it depends on my mood and wha I am doing with my time. December - January and May - September are the times to loo out for lots of updates. But 'subcribe' if you like something, because you never know when I'll update it.

29. Any words for your readers?

Yep, I love you all and thanks for reading and sticking with me despite me being a pain sometimes, I might be ignorant to your existance sometimes, but really, I do appreciate the time you give me to read my work and help me, post ideas to me, anything you have, I'll be likely to listen and you might even see it in the work some time. But please please please continue reading, get your friends to read and leave me feedback! I really try to pay attention to it. Thanks once again.

30. Any authors you like and inspire you? (novels/graphic books)

Yes, so many. Harlan Coben, Jeffery Deaver, Phillippa Gregory, Jean Plaidy, Posie Graeme-Evans.
Really they have helped with so much of my work, the last three historically and the other two with my crime thrillers. Really, those guys are all sound writers.

^-^ Thanks for this. ::hug: ^-^

And with that our interview come to the end. ::cute:

Thank you so much for your time Lyndon Lockwood. It was fun interviewing you and learning things about you.

I hope all of you enjoyed this interview as much as I did.
Have fun reading his stories here.

~Marian.
November 16th, 2013 at 01:00pm