Your Whiny Author's Notes (aka why I stopped reading your story)

Maybe I am just a hypersensitive toolbag, who knows, but having been on this website for a few years now, there are some things that I used to tolerate that I have recently run out of patience for. The main one of these is whiny author's notes.

Here's the thing about writing, that I've said time and time again. People will recognise your writing if it is GOOD. I am so absolutely sick of reading something that's a bit alright, getting to the author's note at the bottom and seeing stuff like 'I only got 2 comments on my last chapter! Not good enough!' and 'seriously considering deleting this story :( never get any feedback!'. REALLY THOUGH? If your story is engaging, well-written, interesting, original, intriguing or touching, people will comment on it because they want to. If people are not commenting, subscribing or recommending your story, then it probably means you need to go back over it and work out how you can improve it.

The comment feature is designed for people to give you constructive feedback and criticism on your stuff so that you can improve your own writing. I do understand why it is lovely to get comments and feedback, to have people enjoying your stuff, and I think you do need that feedback in order to maintain your motivation. But doing crap like withholding updates until you get 'at least ten more comments' is seriously ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that you are emotionally manipulating your readers in to leaving inane comments like 'this is gr8', which isn't helpful for either party.

Secondly, I came here to read your story, not get a blow by blow update on your life. The author's note feature is designed to convey important messages to the readers/subscribers, not become your journal. Please save your crying over OM&M band members for journals or Friday nights. As much as I sympathise with the genuine pain that is being in love with Alan Ashby, I don't need to read your five page love letters or general downloads in the author's note.

sorry for being an angry cow I'm in the middle of exams and hating on everything byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
November 17th, 2013 at 11:49am