My future is scaring me.

I've recently had a thought about where I'm going in life. I've got a direction, and I know I can get there. I'm hoping I'll be more convinced of my choice as I move up in my education, but whatever.

I'd like to somehow be a part of the music industry. Be it as a tour manager, events coordinator, photographer, magazine writer, etc. All very different jobs, I realise this, but quite honestly I see no problems as to how I can cover majority of the bases.

A business class, photography class, journalism class, and that's basically all my options covered, right?

My mum's supportive of each one, except TM. I'd also like to learn the drums in the hopes of becoming a drummer, but lets get real, that isn't going to happen. She flat out told me that women don't make it in the music industry. Not in the genres I like, at least. Some do, but they're few and far between.

Gee, I wish this wasn't so hard. What if I change my mind? It's taken me majority of the year to even come up with this. In my tutorial class we've been discussing careers for the past semester. I bullshitted all the worksheets and wrote down stock standard jobs - teacher, etc. What if my school doesn't support this? What if they don't run a photography class? What if they don't do journalism or even touch on it in English? What if business doesn't get enough takers?

My friends don't like my decisions - they're all planning to be doctors, along with majority of the school. They scoffed at me when I even tried discussing it. Yet I didn't do anything when they replied with 'doctor' to my question about their goal.

Does anyone have any experience in this field? Could you please give me some tips or expectations of university courses or what courses I'd need to do?
November 24th, 2013 at 01:51pm