Thanksgiving Day.

So I was looking back at old bookmarks in my browser, and I found this site. I logged in and started exploring again, only to realize that it's been more than a year since I last posted. So, for the sake of my sanity, here goes nothing.

Thanksgiving, a day when we as Americans stuff our faces like idiots only to induce a turkey coma and not wake up until about 3pm the next day. It's been like that since the first year after the Mayflower dropped anchor in the late 1600's, right? Well, I asked myself something this year. Why do we do it?

Because we're...well, us. It's an American tradition to kick back on the last thursday of November and watch a football game with a beer in one hand, the remote in the other, and a plate of food on your crotch that weighs almost as much as you do. But this year, I got to see something I haven't before. I was invited to a thanksgiving dinner that my fiancee's family throws every year. They actually don't zone out like a bunch of drunks like my clan does. They do something amazing.

They SOCIALIZE. You know, talk to each other. I thought it was pretty cool. I mean, I felt like an alien, but they liked me well enough. Anyway, next year, when your uncle sits like a zombie in front of the tv with his drumstick and PBR, turn off the tube and have a conversation. Maybe you'll actually like each other and be on good terms.

~Threin
November 28th, 2013 at 10:55pm