Band Members Are NOT Infalible

Yes, this is about Ian Watkins. Of course, I'm disgusted with what he's done and I really hope he gets the punishment he deserves. I don't know what it is, and, to be honest, my thoughts on what his punishment should be is probably different than yours, so I'm not discussing that.

I don't think I'm all that upset about this because I'm not a fan of his band, and I never was. Yes, I'm disgusted and shocked by it, but I don't get sad. Some people have, and it's understandable. To many of his fans, this was a guy they looked up to, and he inspired a lot of them. Does that make him less guilty? No. It doesn't matter who this guy was, at the end of the day, he did something so appalling that not even being Jesus would justify. People consider him and his well-being. I don't get it. He didn't consider the well-being of the children he did these things to. Some people feel bad for him. It just doesn't make sense to me. Just because someone is famous or looked up to diesnt mean they can do no wrong, and it doesn't make it okay when they do.

I've seen this a million times (e.g. Chris Brown, Floyd Mayweather), and it just wows me. I don't know what sentences Ian is facing, but I really hope they justify the crimes he committed. And I really hope that some of his fans would seperate that sentimental attachment to him and realise that what he did is appalling.

I was thinking about how I would react if someone I looked up to and liked did something like this. I'd be upset and shocked, sure. Finding out that someone like that did something terrible like that is something hard to register and disappointing. But feeling bad for them and worrying about how they feel? No. I don't care if it's even John O'Callaghan, what that person did is terrible and I don't feel sympathy for them. Maybe I'm too harsh, maybe I'm right, who knows. But I just don't feel comfortable with this at all, and the sympathy that some of his fans are showing makes it all worse.
December 3rd, 2013 at 12:07am