For the first time in my life, I'm proud of something I've written + Silent Readers and how to improve your writing

Excluding Psithurisma, since I wrote that with James.

But yes; in the past I've never actually been so in love with something I've written--I've never read it and actually said to myself, "Wow, this is actually good." That's just never happened to me. Several times, while writing a story, I've thought to myself, "Hey this is pretty good," but never this.

My new story A World's Curse is what I'm talking about, and this is going to lead me to my topic: silent readers and how to improve your writing.

Another recent spurr of complaints about silent readers came to my attention today. A lot of the people said different things to why silent readers shouldn't be so silent, a big reason being, "How can the writer improve their writing without feedback?"

Well, that's easy: read your own writing. It's useless if you're supposedly "writing for yourself", though your begging for other people to read and tell you what they think. The best way to improve upon your writing is to tell yourself what makes good writing, read your own, and critique it--just like you would a friend's story, or any other story on Mibba. If you can't bring yourself to read your own writing, that's a great sign you need improvement. You should also study the craft, too, and read a lot of published works as well. I mean, I have like 1 comment on A World's Curse, but I consider it the best thing I've written!

While I do agree that Mibba has a major feedback problem, for original fiction especially, it would help a lot if people could worry about giving good, constructive criticism. I'd go around critiquing everything I saw, but, for some reason, it's hard for me to get into a story on Mibba and even harder for me to work out a proper critique for one. Usually I just sit there and fangirl, like I did for Thylacine/caves of steel. Sky Castle.

But, since I'm nice, I'll give you people some things I like in stories:

- Loads of description. If there's not enough description, I'll probably not be able to get into it or imagine it well enough.

- Dialogue. I don't even care about the time period, in a story I tried to wrote a while back called Exile, it was a medieval fantasy but I used psuedo-mondern dialogue and I felt it fit the story and the characters.

- Whole lots of originality. I absolutely cannot get into a story unless it's original. I don't know why; I just can't. This is why I love science fiction and fantasy, which I find lacking on this site.

Completely off topic, but I'd like to notify everyone that vampires, werewolves, succubi, etc., are not fantastical elements, they are paranormal elements and if I find another vampire/werewolf story in the Scifi-fantasy section again, I'mma be working on another genre article to educate some peeps.
December 11th, 2013 at 03:40am