Anyone Have Aspergers or Autism? I'm in Need of Some Help

I have a new story planned out but I need some help. Here is an outline of it:

A 17 year old girl has Asperger Syndrome and has lived a sheltered life on a farm in Georgia. Her parents unexpectedly die, leaving her alone. Their Will explained that all their savings would be given to their daughter as soon as anything happened to them so she would be secure.
She decides to go on a road trip through the US, using the money as well as hitchhiking. She meets a lot of people on her journey, some good and some bad, and it forces her to understand the outside world and shows her how much she's missed out on blah blah blah.

I suck at summarising things but there will be a good amount of adventure and drama and the usual stuff I have in my stories.

Anyway, I really want keep this story as real as possible. I've done loads of research but trying to write like someone who has AS is a lot more difficult than I first thought. The reason being, I've never met anyone with the 'disorder' or read a story where a character has it.

So what I'm asking is for anyone who has AS or Austism, or knows of someone who does, to get in touch and help me understand exactly what it's like from their point of view.

And even if you don't have Aspergers and you're interested in this story, let me know! I'm excited for it but also totally anxious as to how it'll turn out.
December 11th, 2013 at 03:41pm