The Art of Writing (and Everything that Comes with It)

When I tell people that I write fiction, I get a couple different responses.

1. Wow! That's so interesting! What do you write about?

2. Wow. That's pretty cool, I guess. Hey, have you seen the new show on Netflix.

3. That's really dumb. You'll get no where in life writing.

Okay, so I've never actually gotten the third response. Normally, I get a mix of one and two. They're interested, but not enough to get to in detail about what I do.

When it comes to me and my writing, I feel like I'm on a roller coaster. Some days I'll be writing and it'll feel great! I'll feel like the most amazing writer in the world, like HOW AM I NOT PUBLISHED YET?! kind of amazing. And other days I sit at my computer and stare at the word document reading back what I've typed and think, "Why would you ever attempt writing anything you lazy, no good wannabe writer."

This is normal, I know, but lately I've been having issues even getting that far. Writing that is. I just started college in the fall, and I have told my friends that I write fiction stories, but to be honest, I feel like a liar. I don't write anymore. When was the last time I actually wrote more than a page in a month? I used to write all the time and when I look back and read some of my old material I'm not too shy to say some of it was actually good, like really good. I'm not a horrible writer, so why am I having so much trouble writing.
December 16th, 2013 at 05:53pm