Sherlock Fandom, I Am So Sorry

I am very sorry. I am so sorry that Caitlin Moran thought it was okay to drag your fandom onto television and make any of you feel bad for what you write. I am sorry you are the punchline of a cheap, unprofessional joke made by a journalist who no doubt will never understand the depth of the love of your fandom. I myself do not participate, but I am sorry she treated you in such a harsh way. I am sorry especially to the woman who wrote the piece, who has posted online that she is not happy with what Caitlin Moran did and how she belittled work that this woman put her heart and soul into. I am so sorry that the only interaction that fan will have with the actors whose characters she admires and respects was perpetuated by a woman looking to cause trouble.

I hope none of you are considering not writing anymore. You cannot let people like Caitlin Moran make light of what you write. Whatever you put your time and effort into is important and you should be proud of it. You should always aim to be a better writer and spread the fandom as far and wide as you can. Do not ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

I have lost all respect for Caitlin Moran. The incredibly unprofessionalism of using your position in the media to make light of the fandoms that support their various centers is atrocious and the fact that she did this is terrible. Anyone who does this needs to remember that fanfiction writers are fucking people, not cardboard cut-outs you can make jabs at. You have no right to make light of what anyone writes, whether it be original or fanfiction, prose or poetry or articles or reviews, and if you do, then I sorely pity all of the people who have to put up with you.

Sherlock fandom, I am so sorry. I do know what it is like to be brought to the attention of the people you write about, though luckily none of my stories have ever been picked out and forced on the band members I write about. I know, however, how awful it feels to have people make light of you and try to make life awkward for the people you love and the people you choose to spend your time on.

If you are one of these people like Caitlin Moran, you can just not post on this blog. In fact, do not or you will be asked to leave. If you ever dare to tell someone that writing anything, whether fanfiction or original fiction or poetry or articles or reviews or tutorials, is not okay, you are not welcome on my blogs. You never will be. People work fucking hard on what they love, and for you to make light of it is not only to hurt their feelings but to make the writing community in general look like shit. Don’t be Caitlin Moran. Even if you don’t read it, grow up and don’t bash it.
December 16th, 2013 at 06:20pm