The Houses That Built Me.

I barely listen to country but a few artists have slipped their way into my liking, and Miranda Lambert is one of them. Anyways I was listening to "The House That Built Me", and it made me start thinking. I didn't have the most normal childhood, but it was the one I had and I have grown to accept and love it.
There wasn't just one house that built me, to be specific there were Three. My Granny Willet's, my Dad's, and my Granny Betty and Papaws. Each house built me in it's own way.

My Granny Willet's
I love my Granny (may she rest in peace wherever you go after you leave this place). She was batshit crazy, but I loved her dearly. She told me when I was five that she would always love me and no one in our big crazy family would love me as much as she loved me. I was her favorite. I know that sounds fucked up, but she loved all her grandchildren (Me, Jamie, and Dylan). I think she said I was her favorite cause we had a strong bond. In my eyes as a child my Granny put the sun up everyday and hung the moon and the stars every night. Her place was my safe Haven. She was also was very into my schooling. I believe it was because she didn't finish the third grade. Every time I would come to her house after school she would ask me how school was, what did I learn, and to read to her. She helped build my love of reading. I would crawl into her bed and just spend hours reading all the books I had with me and the books I had at her house. She would just sit there with her arm around me, smile, and listen. Her house built me by building my creativity. My imagination ran the most and the wildest at her house.

My Dad's
I love my Dad. I will admit I am probably one of the biggest Daddy girls in the world. My dad was a super hero to me as a child. I believed he was the strongest, smartest, coolest, bravest, amazing person on this earth. He could do anything and everything. I loved going to my Dad's, I still do. He built that home about thirty years ago from an old barn. That house holds so many memories and moments from my life. That was were my sisters and I would cause trouble. Heck we would raise hell there and we still do sometimes. Growing up that house was always filled with people, and it still is today. There have been many life lessons I have learned in that house. That house is my home, it's the place that no matter where I end up in this life I will always come back to it.

My Granny Betty and Papaw Bare's
My Granny Betty (May she rest in peace) and Papaw Bare's house was amazing. It feels different since Granny Betty passed away, but it's still an amazing place. It's the place that all Thirty Two of us Children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and great great grandchildren would meet for every holiday. It's the place I would also go after school. It's a place where those who lived on the hill or woke up early enough to drive over there would have breakfast. I loved that place, I still do. It's the place that I learned about true love. Cause true love is what they had. Granny Betty and Papaw have a love like Johnny and June. I hope that I have a love like theirs. That house taught me that love is hard, love is complicated, love is tough, love is something you have to work for, love is strong, and that love is amazing and worth it all. Also that's the house I learned to appreciate good old home cooked southern food.
December 17th, 2013 at 11:07am