The World's Love/Hate Relationship With Fall Out Boy

Fall Out Boy. They're sort of like Marmite's slightly less bitter brother; not as controversial, but still hated by some.

As a Fall Out Boy fan, I won't pretend I'm not slightly biased, but I definitely can appreciate they aren't to everyone's taste. Not everyone is into pop punk. Or their transformation to what can only be called alternative... Something? And even I can admit that 'Take This to Your Grave' really isn't musical genius.

However, I believe some people just insult Fall Out Boy for the sake of it. 'I don't like the band, so I'll nitpick at irrelevant and sometimes non-existent faults!' For instance, the idea that Pete Wentz's lyrics are misogynistic. I personally have never seen this. Of course, some of his lyrics are a little... Hard to interpret. For instance, 'It was ice cream headaches and sweet avalanche
When the pearls in out shell came out to dance...'
But maybe they're just too metaphorical for me. However, I have thus far seen no evidence to prove Pete Wentz to be misogynist or sexist in any way through the lyrics he writes.

Then there's the suggestion that Patrick Stump can't sing. I know voices are down to personal opinion, and somebody can love one voice, while someone else hates it. But I think it's undeniable that Patrick Stump has one of the strongest voices in music, even if one can't appreciate the tone. Yet again, trying to find anything to say to explain one's dislike towards the band.

I do, on the other hand, understand one reason people find themselves hating Fall Out Boy. And that is some of the more vocal fans. Just as the One Direction fans I see on television or in magazines make me dislike the boy band more than I would if they didn't exist. It's the same with a lot of bands. Sleeping With Sirens being an obvious example. Just like theirs, some Fall Out Boy fans are too enamored and too defensive, making them simply... Annoying. And the fans end up representing the band, and so others find themselves disliking them because they dislike their fans. I feel as though those of Fall Out Boy and all fans need to accept that some people won't like the same things as you and move on. Just think, that's one less person who might get the chance to meet them when you don't. But I still don't think that's a reason to completely disregard a band.

I completely accept that some people just don't like Fall Out Boy. Maybe you think their music is awful. Maybe you've just heard too much about Pete Wentz's genitals. But, whatever the reason, I feel as though it should at least be liable. You could do so much worse than liking Fall Out Boy.
December 19th, 2013 at 07:44pm