Plagiarism

Plagiarism is a huge thing, especially for writers. Writers have to think up a plot, develop characters, and write pages upon pages for chapters upon chapters for their stories, and it can take forever, really. When your work is taken from you, and someone makes it out to seem that they are the author, the writer isn't going to be very happy because it takes a lot of work to come up with an original, creative idea. Personally, I've never gone through this situation, but I've caught it before and seen it a few times, including today. I'm not going to call anyone out. I'm just going to explain what plagiarism is.

From Merriam Webster dictionary, plagiarism is when you steal and pass off the work as your own without crediting the source. For literary terms, it's to present an already existing idea as new and original.

On Mibba, I understand if the ideas are similar. I've seen similar plot stories, and I don't think it's plagiarism. On Mibba, there is two main types of plagiarism.

The first one is easy to catch. It's when the chapters are almost word for word. Those are simple and easy because almost nothing about it is changed.

The second is a bit harder. It's when the plagiarizer paraphrases the chapters to make it seem original. It's when the plagiarizer sneaks in a few different sentences or scenarios but always returns to the original idea of the original source. This plagiarism is a bit harder because it makes it seem as if the story is similar to the original story instead of being considered plagiarized.

Honestly, if you plagiarized, that's a real shitty move. If you have time to read the story and consider it as a good piece of work and think of plagiarizing it, you should be able to have the time to sit your butt down and think up a plot. I don't see the point of plagiarism, though. Yes, you get readers to comment and commend you because they think you're the writer, but you know that you aren't. You plagiarizers know you aren't the writer, and you didn't put any talent or work into it 'cept for a few words/sentences. How can you get pride from that if you didn't put your heart and soul into it?

That's what writing is. It's putting your heart and soul into something you've created. It's putting your heart and soul into it, even though you're pushing through because you know that it's going to be a damn work in progress for awhile, but you're in love with it anyway. If you're thinking of plagiarizing, you better think twice and realize what you're about to do is wrong. If you are plagiarizing, you should really stop and create your own work from scratch because that's where the fun really is.

I'm really sorry to the writers who have stories that have been plagiarized. Today, I've read two accounts of it from two different writers, and I can't honestly think of what you're going through because I would be devastated if someone took my work and claimed it as their own.
December 24th, 2013 at 03:47am