Can I Take a Moment to Cry over Nintendo?

I’m still annoyed.
It’s been hours since they announced it but I’m still annoyed by the news. It’s hard not to be! I was so looking forward to finally being able to transfer my old team into X, it’s kind of heartbreaking to know that I have to wait an unspecified amount of time now. I almost feel like crying a bit. (╥_╥)
Image

I'm not even kidding. I was so heartbroken when I was told by a friend that Bank was delayed. I found out that Bank was delayed about an hour before midnight. I was so excited for it too.

I just want to love and cuddle and pet and play with and feed my Espeon and Mismagius. WHY IS THIS SO MUCH TO ASK FOR, NINTENDO?! I miss my old team. I love my Fairies and all but I want my old team back, I miss using them. My Blissey, Espeon, Mismagius, Hydreigon, Lucario, and so many others. You had two months to prepare the app, Nintendo. I JUST WANT MY FRIENDS BACK. (╥_╥)

I guess a lot of people won’t know what I’m complaining about now, huh? Pokemon Bank is an online cloud storage with the capabilities of storing 3,000 Pokemon for each user. Poke Transfer is an app that lets you transfer Pokemon from Gen 5 into Gen 6, although you do need Bank to make it work. Pokemon Bank was supposed to be released internationally today but it ended up getting delayed because Nintendo’s servers couldn’t handle the traffic.

The entire network has crashed. The eShop has been completely taken offline; no one can access it because Nintendo’s servers crashed from all the traffic Christmas brought them. The eShop has been down for like two days now or something like that, it’s been a while. The people in Japan who already downloaded Pokemon Bank can’t use the app anymore either; the entire system has been pulled offline for who knows how long.

For some reason, Nintendo wasn't expecting the traffic. Between all the promotions they're running, releasing Pokemon Bank, people getting new 3DS' or Wii U's, and everyone creating new eShop accounts due to the newly merged network all around Christmas time.... They still weren't expecting mass amounts of traffic to their servers. Why? Well it's Nintendo. As much as I love Nintendo, they're sorta horrible when it comes to online stuff.

To be honest, this worries me. After the free trial, I was planning to buy a subscription to Pokemon Bank but now…. I’m not so sure. For starters, Pokemon Bank is not doing what Nintendo promised. Nearly immediately after it was released in Japan, people began to get obviously illegal Pokemon through. From what I know, a hacked Pokemon would be allowed to get through if its stats, moves, and abilities were all legal. It would only be blocked if it had illegal moves, like a Wondertomb (which isn’t undefeatable anymore by the way courtesy of Fairies). But the system didn’t do that. Clearly hacked Pokemon that are illegal got through when they shouldn’t have.

As a hacker, I am torn on this. I have hacked Pokemon I’d like to get through but to me, it’s not a big deal. I’ll leave them behind because those hacked ones were only used to troll people online when I got bored enough. I have other technically hacked ones like my Mismagius who was Pokegenn’d. But Mismagius is legal, she has a legal moveset and a legal IV spread, so she should be allowed to get through. My Wondertomb (BECAUSE YES I HAVE ONE) should not be allowed through.

However, as someone who was going to pay for what was hyped as an “unhackable service”, I expect it to be unhackable. If hacks are getting through this easily, do I want to pay for a service that will not do part of what was promised? Straying away from that, are things like this going to be permanent? The app had trouble in Japan alone, what’s going to happen when it is re-released worldwide and everyone is trying to get it? I don’t want to put my Pokemon in there for storage if the app is going to keep crashing like this. I don’t want to risk losing any of them.

As a breeder, I am excited for this. It’ll make breeding for others a lot easier with the cloud storage. Pokemon Bank could be a breeder’s best friend. Don’t get me wrong, I do want the subscription. But I’m just weary now about how well the system is going to do. If this is a trend, I don’t want to pay for a service that will keep crashing.

I guess I’ll do the free trial and if all goes well with the app, I’ll buy the subscription after the free trial is up. The free trial is like a month so it’ll be enough time to determine how well the app is going to really do.

With that said though, you do realize they're probably going to patch Pokemon Bank's legality checker, right? The server traffic is a completely legit excuse considering the entire eShop has crashed as well, but Nintendo may also use this as an opportunity to fix Bank's legality checker so obviously illegal Pokemon won't get through anymore. If they're doing this, I just hope they don't take their sweet time doing it. Nintendo tends to take their time making patches and if they do that with this.... We could be waiting a while.

I'll just stop complaining now and go drown my sorrows in Match the Dots. It's such a stupid app but it's so addictive.
December 28th, 2013 at 01:03am