What's Yours Like?

Have you ever played the game, what's yours like? Where you're all given a word except for one person, who has to guess what the word was based on your description of "What yours is like". For example once when I was playing the word was hands. And people gave hints like, "Mine are small" or "Mine are warm" or my personal favorite/the one that gave it away, "Mine get the job done". But anyway I was thinking about the definition of love the other day. And I feel like if you asked a whole group of people what love was like, it would turn into a game of what's yours like, because everyone would describe it differently.

I used to think that love was like a fairytale. I thought that it would be easy, and quick and beautiful. But I have realized what love is for me recently. So here's what "mine is like".

It smells like the cigarettes he smokes, far away from me so that I won't inhale the second hand smoke, because he "doesn't want me to get cancer and die". It smells like boy, like piled up laundry and the food that he cooks for me because I am incapable in a kitchen. It smells like candles which he lights to "make the environment".

For me love tastes like the kool-aid he drinks by the gallon because he refuses to drink water. It tastes like the cookies he baked and decorated for me for Christmas. It tastes like morning breath, when we've both just woken up, and the desire to kiss each other is stronger than the desire to impress each other with fresh breath.

My love looks like his incredible blue-grey eyes which sparkle and dull based on the situation he's in. It looks like the little smirk he gets when I kiss his cheek randomly, just because I can. My love looks like a walking contradiction of strength and warmth.

Mine sounds like his laugh, the way it rumbles and is so gentle and different from what you would expect from the look he gives off. It sounds like his voice early in the morning and late at night when he is entirely too tired to function, and is rambling absolute nonsense. It sounds like his heartbeat when I rest my head on his chest, and I can hear its speed picking up when he runs his fingers through my hair, and kisses my forehead. It sounds like him whispering that he loves me, like it's the best possible secret-which it is.

Mine feels like the itch between my fingers when his fingers are not laced with mine. It feels like his hand so much bigger than my own, encasing them. It feels like his silky lips, and the soft, warm skin on his neck that is oh-so sensitive. It feels like his warm hands leaving a trail of tingles on my skin. It feels like his thumbs tracing shapes on my hipbones. It feels like his lips kissing my face over and over as he apologizes after he tells a joke that I don't find as funny as he thinks it was. It feels like the way his lips fit perfectly against mine, and the way that his lips feel tracing over the skin of my neck. My love feels like butterflies in my belly.

My love is both nothing and everything that I expected it would be. And I would not change a thing about it. I never expected to find love the way that I have. I never expected to love him so much. But I really and truly do.

So that's what my love is like... What's yours like?
January 3rd, 2014 at 03:39am