Tumblr.

It's currently 12:41am and I'm stuck here with all these awful emotions and I'm not sure what to do with them. I've done some writing and I'm talking to a couple of people but it's not really helping. Anyway, my intention wasn't to talk about how I'm feeling at the moment, it's to talk about how I feel about tumblr.

Yes, tumblr. The world of blogging and images and text posts. Where night bloggers come to roam and share strange ideas. Where people come to share mutual interests, and fandoms come together as fans. When you think about it in that context, it sounds like a good place to be.
It's not.
It's really, really not.
Instead of being a world of shared interests and mutual understandings, it's become this world of hatred. Where you say something personal about yourself and people attack you. Where you post an opinion and you receive more hatred than any person should ever have to bear. You may state that green is your favourite colour and then people will try to prove you wrong about something you like.

When you first join, you see what it's like for all the interesting stuff, the cool pictures and the funny posts. But then you stay, and stay you do. You become addicted and you don't know why. You try to please these people from the internet who you don't know, and who you probably never will. You try to keep them following you and you're not sure why. Does it give you a feeling of happiness, that so many people are interested in what you post? I'm not sure why I've stayed when it's just filled me with so much despair. I guess I've made friends there, who I'd hate to just leave.

Tumblr is a place where people who identify as feminists scream and rage about simple things. Is feminism not about reaching equality? Then why are these people kicking and screaming and being sexist, not only to females, but to males.
There is constantly a gender war taking place, not just males and females. After being on tumblr, I've learnt about all these genders I didn't know existed, and to be fair, haven't made a difference to my life.

Tumblr has brought me many joys, but it's hurting my mental well being. So for that, I give thanks to Mibba. Where your differences are respected, your favourite colour is yours and what you believe in isn't held against you as a form of blackmail.

That is all.
January 3rd, 2014 at 02:56pm