Unsupportive Parents

Ugh! I'm so mad right now I don't even know how to express my anger! So I'm just going to rant and if anyone would like to chime in, be my guest.

So for my whole life (although I know I'm not very old, I'm old enough to know where I'm headed in life) I've never had any clue where I was going. Sure, I've went through phases like every kid, saying they wanted to be a doctor or a chef etc etc. But those whims usually came from meeting a person who was a good deal older, becoming close to them, and then wanting to be like them just as every younger kid does. I guess my parents knew that, I thought they'd know the difference between serious and a passing fad.

Now I've never been particularly close to my parents, I harbor a lot of resent towards them but I've been trying my best to turn over a new leaf and get along. I know I lose my temper pretty easily with them, a story for another time, but lately I've been doing my best to keep calm and have casual conversations with them on a mature level. It wasn't perfect but I thought we were making some progress. That is until I decided to share with them something I'd been thinking a lot about.

I sat down with my parents and had a serious conversation (or I tried to anyway) about what I wanted to do with my life and what my plans were for the future once I graduate high school. One of my few passions (because in reality I'm not very passionate about things and am extremely passionate about those few that I do enjoy) is the Japanese culture. I've always been fascinated by foreign languages/ideals but my love for Japan is by far the strongest and most explored. I'm a major anime and manga fan, which my parents know well, and I have been for years now. I even own my own Bento box, chopsticks, chopstick rests, a table set, a couple Japanese cook books, and I have a kimono on order from Christmas time. I've been learning Japanese here and there and next year I'm set to take it as a forgien language, not to mention my use of it around the house. My parents know all of these things, it's the topic of most of our conversations!

And yet when I sit down to have a serious conversation (which I hardly ever do. That's how you know I'm serious) they brush me off. They fucking brush me off! For the first time in my life I have a goal, a serious career profession for the future that I'm excited to work for and hopefully achieve and they can't be even a little bit supportive! I've never been one to plan for the future, I usually go with the flow and I always express how I like to live in the now and for the first god damn time that I'm very serious about doing something major in my life they can't be bothered to talk about it seriously with me. And this is majorly beyond major!

I was worried something like this would happen but I was sure I could show them just how serious I am, because I am serious. I started thinking a couple months back after I'd had a epiphany about something else in my life, and my thoughts lead me here. So I started researching and looking into the things necessary to make this happen, something a person doesn't do unless they mean to act on their thoughts. So now here I am with months worth of research and a happy heart trying to talk to my parents about what their daughter hopes to do in life and they are even less than not interested!

As soon as the words, "I've decided I'm going to get my bachelor's degree, get TEFL certified and look for a job in Japan." left my mouth my mom was turning back to the tv. She even had the nerve to tell me that I wouldn't like it in another country, that is if I actually follow through with my plans. And when I started to object and explain how serious I am she tells me that she doesn't want to discuss something without proper information. I tried to tell her I had done plenty of research but she pretty much ignored me and said that I needed to dreaming.

I just can't believe that when I'm finally excited about my future and want to make something of my life, something that isn't a popular theme in my family (if you catch my drift) and they can't be bothered to discuss it. I'm not a little kid anymore, I wish they'd take me seriously.

-WhatLiesBeneath

**sorry for my bad spelling/grammar because no proof reading in sight xD
January 4th, 2014 at 01:09pm