Things I Love in Stories!

I've been doing a bit of thinking about what things I look for in stories/what elements of a story get me hooked, and from those thoughts, this list was born! This doesn't encompass everything I love in stories, and it also doesn't mean I don't like stories that don't have things, but these are a few things that really get me going.

Sassy Characters

Sassy characters are my all time favorite. There's just something about the way they say everything that I'm thinking in ways that I couldn't. They have a way of turning everything in a story up a notch, whether it's in a good way or a bad one.

Life Humor

By that, I mean things that are funny because they just are. There's no punch line or long running joke. There's nothing about it to make it funny aside from the fact that it just is. It's that awkward moment when a character is trying to sneak backstage to meet their favorite band and gets caught, and it is magical.

Fatal Flaws

Lots of characters have flaws (they're Mary Sues if they don't, right?), but a lot of these flaws don't affect them outside of the fact that they exist. I love stories that take that character's flaw and use it against them. Make that flaw the cause of their eventual downfall. It's just beautiful.

The Build Up

Especially in romance, I love the build up. It's those moments where the characters are just starting to fall for each other. The first dates, first kisses, meeting the friends. It's new. It's exciting. And it's nerve wrecking.

So what are some things that you love to see in stories??

January 7, 2013
January 8th, 2014 at 12:23am