Body Shaming

I have been reading lots of body shaming articles lately. A lot of them make me really, really angry. So angry. Some of them I semi-agree with, others I just want to marry the author. So just let me rant about it for a while.

It started out as "Fat-Shaming", or discriminating people (usually women) for being overweight. This obviously posed many problems, and people began to realize that they should stop what's being done, and said, to these obese girls. They started saying things like "Real women have curves," and "Bones are for the dogs, meat is for the men,".

Sure, this got rid of the fat-shaming. But it was doing something else. It was pushing skinny women down to elevate the more overweight girls. You might say that skinny girls chose to be skinny, and that they should be happy about their size. However, this isn't true. Lots of girls I know have a naturally skinny body type, and some are even insecure and embarrassed about it. This "skinny shaming" is just as hurtful, and is overlooked because most people think that skinny girls are proud of their bodies, and even think that they are better than everyone. DUDE. WHAT THE HECK. Just because you are less large doesn't mean you're any less of a woman. You don't even know how hard it is to try and stay strong after someone has verbally insulted your body and not one single person swoops in to tell you that you're beautiful. Think about it. If someone calls a girl fat, then twenty others are there to console her and tell her that she's perfect just the way she is. If someone asks a skinny girl "Do you even eat or what?", all they say is "Oh get over it.". DO YOU KNOW HOW HURTFUL THIS IS? OBVIOUSLY NOT BECAUSE YOU KEEP ON DOING IT.

What I'm trying to say is that there is no real definition to beauty. The only thing that matters is your health. So whether you're fat, skinny, or somewhere in between, know that you're beautiful.

AND STOP ALL SHAMING OF ANY KIND, ANYWHERE.

Goodnight and thanks for listening :)
January 15th, 2014 at 02:09am