What do I do?

My boyfriend lives in NYC, I live five minutes north of Boston. I'm 21 (in February), he's 21. He's had long distance relationships before and actually traveled to California to see his girlfriend at the time. His parents don't give him trouble for it. Mine? I'm not too sure. I talked to my sister about it and she said the only way they'd be okay with it is if he came up here and I met him with other people. That's originally what I had planned, and David said he was fine with that! He and his friend would come up here, and I'd meet them with a friend of mine.

But I want to be able to go to NYC to see him, too. I don't want to have to rely on him coming up here every time. It's unfair. I feel like I'm old enough to be able to make these decisions by myself, but at the same time, I still live at home with my parents. As much as I don't like to admit it, they still have a big say in what I can or cannot do because, you know, they provide so much for me, anyway.

I haven't quite talked to them yet. I'm scared to. But I just want to know how I can go about it?

I want to ask my mom what she would think about me going to visit David. I can almost imagine her face and her saying, "I don't know if I'm comfortable with that," and stress when I didn't supply specifics, "ALONE?" I wouldn't be alone, or at least I don't think I would be. I'm okay with going alone, but I've had a couple of friends offer to come with me with their boyfriends, anyway, so the option to go with someone else is there! If she's really, really uncomfortable with that, I'll tell her he's going to be coming up here sooner or later with his friend, and that I'll go with a friend into Boston to meet him, OR he would come to my city and meet my family, whichever she's most comfortable with.

I don't want to take no for an answer, though. He's my boyfriend. We need to see each other eventually, and I don't want to scare her away from the idea of me meeting him.

Just, I guess what I'm asking is, what would you do in this situation? What would you say to your parent(s)?
January 15th, 2014 at 07:41pm