A message to the downhearted writer

I, like many of you on this wonderful site, take my writing incredibly seriously. Yes, I have fun with it, but doesn't every writer put a small piece of themselves into what they're creating?

There are those people who just produce stories that seem so effortless in style and flow. And then there's people like me who have to work so damn hard just to write a chapter they think is ok, but we wouldn't give up this gig for anything.

So while this blog is kind of an open letter to whoever happens to stumble upon it, it's also where I tell you a little secret about myself.

Recently I asked my mom about this, and she confirmed that I was diagnosed with a form of dyslexia. It was a really mild form in the grand scheme of things, but I wanted to share that with you anyway.

I've always had difficulties when it comes to reading and writing. I couldn't even spell my own name properly until I was seven (also a shout out to my parents for giving me nine letter first and middle names. Thanks)
In primary school/Kindergarden I was taken out of class daily to have extra classes to try and get me up to speed with my peers (I'm not sure people get held back in the English school system unless the parents fight for it, or at least it only happens in preschool).

The biggest thing I remember is that when I entered the last few years of primary school the rest of my class were reading the same set of books and there was me and two other kids reading some simple tale about a family of monkeys.
-That's the kind of thing that makes you feel different.

The thing is, I loved reading. I read everything I could get my hands on, and I read anywhere I could. I even had a little torch so I could read in the back of the car when it was getting dark.

My high school had three tiers (top, middle and bottom) and three levels of classes in each tier. I was put in the bottom. Still I read constantly and finally started writing drabbles and nonsense. And finally when I was twelve I had an amazing English teacher who encouraged me to no end. I found Shakespeare. And my teacher actually appreciated my comparisons between The Lord of the Rings and Macbeth (or at least I think she did?) And the next year I was moved into the top group.

I still have huge issues with spelling and punctuation. I have trouble pronouncing words. I'm not blind to the fact I still have a hell of a long way to go.

I guess all I really wanted to say is that if there's something you really want, if there's something that makes you truly happy to the very depths of your soul than you need to fight for it.

I'm sick of governments changing test rules and making them more difficult, while the older generation says the system is getting easier.

I'm sick of hearing about all these kids that are slipping through the cracks and I'm so grateful that I had help.

I'm sick of this real world bullshit where people are pigeonholed and told they're not good enough or 'up to standard'.

We're not on the X Factor. Remember that.
We're a community of writers. Which means we've come here to read and enjoy the work of our peers. We want to share the stories we're proud of, indulge flashes of inspiration and make friends with people in our fandoms. We want to learn. And if you have the desire to learn than you're already a better writer.
January 16th, 2014 at 01:17am