Up late and thinking about honesty

Do you know what really bothers me? That as people, we can barely tell the truth anymore without everyone getting offended. I can't tell anyone that they're being dramatic, I can't tell them that something isn't a good idea, or I can't tell them what I honestly think when they ask me something because society has made us get offended by everything.

But at the same time, I guess if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say it at all, right?

Lately I'm constantly having a battle between keeping my mouth shut and saying something. Now I'm not the kind of person that holds back in a sense, but when I'm unable to find a polite way to put something, I've been keeping it to myself, especially because it's been happening so often.

My biggest fear of opening my mouth isn't actually offending anyone, anymore. People are going to get offended all the time so I might as well say it, right? My whole thing is this: if my honesty is presenting itself because I'm annoyed, is it really honesty? Or is it me just wanting to tell someone to stop annoying me? Probably the later, I'm not sure.

I guess I should give an example: when people cannot seem to stop complaining. When it is a constant flow of a 'woe is me' attitude and when people are so desperate for others to feel bad for them, when they constantly have a pity party, it takes absolutely every ounce of self restrain that I have no to scream at them to suck it up. There are few things that bother me more than people who think the world is out to get them, because it isn't. The world is unfair and things happen all the time, but it doesn't mean your life is a travesty.

A lot of people, myself included, have these skewed visions of honesty. It's something that isn't exactly concrete, which is the problem. When we have these ambiguous terms, I think it's hard to classify things as 'honest.' Personally, I've developed a sort of scale that ranges from lie, not very honest, less honest, more honest, too honest, and absolute truth. I know that may sound weird, but it's the way my mind works.

If I'm rambling, I'm sorry. It's late and this topic has been driving me nuts because the more I think about telling a friend of mine to stop complaining about things that are material, that are insignificant to the entire workshop of life, I realize that maybe it isn't being honest. Sure, a lot of people share my view on that. But does it make it honest, or does that make it a pet peeve?

That is my biggest question, as of late and one that I can't seem to answer. When does honesty become skewed by you wanting to stop someone from displaying a behavior you don't want?
January 24th, 2014 at 07:47am