HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY ft HISTORY, SLANG, NOTABLE MIBBIANS etc

I couldn't not post something about Australia Day so here it is ~

For a little background info, today (26th jan) is the day that the first fleet came onto aussie shores and was like 'yo we're gonna set up settlement here' and bam here we aussie day reppin' it. We like to celebrate aussie day by getting pissed / having a BBQ / wearing our classiest aussie clothing [tees, shorts, thongs (the shoe kind u dirty people), cork hats, sunscreen].

I will note that while the british came and settled themselves onto Aussie land, the Aboriginals lost their land because they've actually been on Aussie shores 40,000 years ago. The Aboriginals call it Invasion Day, as back in the day Aussies were beyond assholes to them and shit sucked and I'm not going to go too much into it but we were dicks and I thought it was important to note their involvement in our history.

For non-Aboriginals, we also celebrate this day by welcoming migrants with a special ceremony for them in the city, where each country shows their culture in a parade style thing and today migrants are told 'yo you're an official aussie citizen now', which is pretty cool.

The cricket is also on (the Ashes) which is on every Australia Day, and triplej also reveals their top 100 songs for the previous year. While getting pissed. Huge drinking culture. We pop open a beer whenever we can. Ironically, I'm spending my Aussie Day sober.

Now that I've gotten the history stuff out of the way let's learn some slang, shall we?

It's no surprise that when it comes to slang, we're pretty vulgar and controversial. I'm a little hesitant to post the word but the c word people drop it like no other. We don't mean it in a mean way (although we definitely can), but more as a way to greet people.

eg. 'Sup c-nt?' or Sup bitch or sup homo or sup nigga or sup insert any swear word here

No one says 'put a shrimp on the barbie' and if you do we'll look at you like we're gonna bash you because we probably will. That also goes for 'g'day mate'. I've never heard anyone say that neither has my family or friends, but if you live in the country, you'll have more of a chance hearing it.

Another phrase we like to say is 'kms' which stands for kill myself. Basically if you see something you don't like or something you wish you didn't say or do you say kms. Or if you see someone else doing something you don't like or do or say you say 'kill yourself'. We don't literally mean for someone to kill themselves, though.

eg we have a lot of twelve to fifteen year olds thinking that they're acting like they're eighteen when really they're acting like they're twelve and looking at their behaviour makes a lot of older people want to kill themselves

See what I mean about vulgar/controversial slang?

A favourite of mine is when something bad happens and you go 'FAR OUT.' I say this a lot.

Some other fun slang:
cheers - thanks
ta - thank you
you right? - need any help?
crikey - holy shit, wow
ace - wonderful, top, great
chunder - vomit
rig - body
root - fuck
vaso - vaseline, also used as lube back in the day
sheepshagger - kiwi
bastard - term of endearment
bloody/fuckin' oath - fuck yeah! so true!
bogan - an american version of red-neck
#neknominate - an aussie trend where you nominate someone to scull a cup of beer, only we would trend something like this honestly

Notable Mibbians (soz cbf linking):
sheepcat;
Synful Cocktail
Haylie Jaed
Rockabella
...and sorry if I missed you idk many aussies on here I only really talk to Jacqui XD
(AND vices' mum came from straya as well hehe)

TV SHOWS YOU SHOULD WATCH:
Puberty Blues
Summer Heights High
Ja'mie: Private School Girl
Angry Boys
Kath and Kim

MUSIC TIME:
Flume
Angus and Julia Stone
Cody Simpson
Will Sparks
Iggy Izealea
5 Seconds of Summer (HAPPY BIRTHDAY CALUM)
Hermitude
Chet Faker
Matty Lincoln
Jessica Mauboy
Matt Corby
Vance Joy
Gotye
Missy Higgins
Boy and Bear
Flight Facilities
Jet
Linkin Park
AC/DC
Midnight Oil

This has been really long but yeah. Oh well. I was gonna say why Aussie > the world but I think it's fairly obvs so hehehe happy australia day y'all! xoxox
January 26th, 2014 at 07:27am