The writer's survey.

I figured that I'd try and come up with a more writer related survey than some of the ones I've been doing. Also, would like to apologize for not being very active between school and work I haven't had a lot of time, and since LJ chewed up my charger I'm having to use my cousin's... which her daddy doesn't let me use often soooo, yeah. Haven't been able to get on.

So, there's going to be a few different sections, you can pick and choose which to do. There's going to be an author section, story, and poetry. Let's get this show on the road, shall we?

All about you, the author.


1. What is your author-pen name? (If you have one, if you don't your name will suffice or your Mibba name.)
Brittany Payne - A.K.A Doe. seasalt. I don't have a name picked out because I don't plan to get published.

2. When did you start writing?
I can't pinpoint when I started writing but I remember being really young coming up with stories and little things that my mom called 'poems'. She said I had gotten it from my dad since he loved to write.

3. Where did you start writing?
Well, pen and paper, but online the first place I ever posted was Quizilla, I'm sure we all remember that place. I joined that site when I was around twelve or so, which was before it joined with "teennick". Ah, my teenage years. 'Scuse me whilst I go facepalm.

4. What was the first story you ever posted?
It was a story called Life's Little Let Down, it was an Edward Cullen fanfiction, yeah you can shoot me now. It was a pretty terrible story and I tried to spiff it up a bit and reposted it here on Mibba. It's still pretty shitty, but I keep it since it was one of the first stories I ever followed to completion. I renamed it Walking Backwards, it's your a-typical vampire fanfiction with stereotypicalness all over the place. A blemish to my name, but hey it's completed at 63k words and I'm proud of that.

5. What is your favorite story you've ever posted?
Hmm... I believe Coffee Stains it's a short little drabble.

6. What inspires you to write?
Sometimes I'll listen to music or watch t.v and I'll see something and it just lights a fire in me. It can be the simplest of things or a simple phrase that makes me want to write. Lately though, it's been images. When an image has such a strong emotion that can be seen I can't help but think of a story to go along with it.

7. Do you want to be published?
I prefer writing as a hobby, I don't ever see myself being published. It's not one of the goals I push towards, and it's not really an exact passion of mine. Writing is more of an escape from reality, and so it's not something that I'm serious about.

8. Which author inspires you most and why? (Mibba-wise or published author)
Stephen King inspires me more than any other author. He has a way of invoking certain fears inside of me and making me afraid of something is just really hard so I admire that he can do that with words.

9. What genre do you like to write most?
It used to be romance, because romance is such an easy genre to write - to me. You know, a lot of happiness + drama = great romance. However, I've learned that I love to write tragedies where someone has passed or is passing. I also really love horror, but it's really hard to write.

10. How many stories have you finished?
Less than ten... I rarely finish my stories. I either get lost, I lose interest, I get too busy... there's always something and I can't force myself to write or it comes out very shitty. :c

Stories

1. What story are you currently working on?
It isn't posted but I am working on something called Dusted. The summary I posted is:
Parents didn't send their kids to this school just because of it's polished reputation. They sent them here to get away. Most of us weren't picked up for summer or even sent cards for Christmas. We all knew that the only way we'd get out alive is from graduating. We accepted that.

So, we made the best of what we had. One of the teachers felt so bad she even started a sport's team for us. We practiced every day, never went to any competitions, but we practiced.

That's when she was enrolled. I couldn't stand her. Her long slender legs, her high bun, her nose stuck atop of her angled face. She was a higher caliber than the rest of us, and she knew it. Doesn't matter though, she's stuck here just like we are. She was dusted.

She'll learn to make the best of it like we did.


I'm pretty much in love with the idea that I have for this story. There will be some romance (f/f) and a lot of twists. No one knows what's around the next corner, and that's what I like. I hope to get it posted soon.

2. What is your biggest story pet peeve.
I don't like a fast-paced story. If person A meets person B in chapter 1, I don't think they should be in a relationship in chapter 2. Unless the first chapter is really long and covers several days. I like to see the motions, especially crushing on someone. The thought that goes into 'does he/she like me', 'what would happen if he/she found out?' etc. Just not everything has to be done within the first chapter. Personally opinion though, and if that's what people like then they do.

3. What is a story turn on?
A deep, dark, morbid twist.
Image


Like when you think you've figured something out... and then you find out it's something so horrid... so wrong... and just everything makes so much sense now. That's the shit I do like. And it makes me hungry for a story.

4. Favorite genre?
Horror. I like to read and write it and just makes me soooo happy. Scared... and happy. I love being scared, even though I don't. I KNOW THAT MAKES NO SENSE BUT PLEASE SCARE ME GOOD, KAY?

5. Original, fanfiction, or true stories?
I used to really like fanfiction, but lately I've been in an original kick. I haven't read that many true stories... because it's hard to read horror-true stories.

6. Preferred chapter length.
Well, on Mibba I like to read chapters that are less than 2,000 words. When I read a book I prefer more, but online I can't concentrate on really long chapters. Nothing to do with the story, there's just too many distractions.

7. How do you like your titles?
I like short titles, some stories can work with long titles. (Harry Potter for instance) Usually long titles really throw me off of the story. Especially if everything is in the title. I mean like: I'm a Girl in an All-Boys School and I think I love the Jerk. Image Like... okay.

8. How do you come up with characters?
Well... sometimes I hear a name and develop a personality around it. Sometimes there are inserts in my stories of friends or people I admire... etc.

9. Do you get attached to your characters?
Very. :c I remember writing one story, never published, and I had to kill one of my characters... sucked so hard.

10. Have an opinion on self-inserts?
I don't see anything wrong with them. Personally, I put a little of myself in all of my stories. I put certain memories, certain feelings, I've never done a full character-insert because I'm simply not that interesting, lol.

Poems

1. How often do you write poetry?
Well, used to I used to write all the time, multiple times a week. Now, maybe once a week, or every other week. Again, I don't post many of my poems.

2. Most popular poem on Mibba?
Sad, but my most popular one would be Twerk.
Image
I wrote it as a joke... and somehow managed to get 21 comments and over 200 reads. Yeah.

3. Favorite poem you've ever wrote.
I think my favorite would be The Last Man on Earth, it's my first narrative I've ever really wrote and it's kind of eerie in a way.

4. What's your style?
I usually keep short lines with a certain kind of rhyme pattern. Lately, I've been trying to work with longer lines with beats instead of rhymes. It's kind of hard to break out of your mold you put yourself into.

5. What kind of poems do you usually write?
Well, I honestly normally write very depressing poems. That's when I get the urge to write them. I started doing that when I was around 15, and it really does help.

6. Ever write a love poem for a significant other?
Hazelnut is the closet thing I've ever written to a love-poem.

7. Do you have a favorite type of poem?
Limericks. You can't say that you don't love them. They are just the best.

8. How about a least favorite?
Hmm... not really, I mean I think the ones I least like to write are haikus, I'm not that great at them because they can be so vague and just... hard to fit so much into so little.

9. Poem turn-off?
Usually it's stylistic things... like when someone writes a poem and they choose keep everything lower cased or capitalized. Just really turns me off. :c

10. Poem turn-on?
Inspirational poems. Especially if it starts out dark and ends up really fluffy and tear-jerker type poems. I LOVE something that can make me cry. CAN YOU NOT. UGH. Love it.

Anyway, that took longer than planned because I kept getting distracted. I am worlds worst at doing things. Anyway, I hope I can get a charger soon. Who knows. I need a second job.
January 26th, 2014 at 11:01pm