Scheduling help

I’ve received several questions asking me, essentially, “how the fuck do you fit everything into one day?" So I thought I’d post how I have things scheduled for those of you who are curious.

The first thing I did, and honestly the foundation of my full schedule (work, studies, activities, free time), is my domestic schedule. I divided household chores up, assigning a couple to specific days of the week. Of course I still do the dishes and clean the counters and catbox and such daily, and commit to putting things away as I’ve finished using them, but things like bleaching the hell out of the bathroom or washing the windows or doing laundry only need to be done once a week. When you try to smash it all into one day it’s really overwhelming, but having a few things scheduled for each day can take as little as half an hour or less to complete, and the best part is things are kept up on. So there’s less to do!

Weekly chore schedule:

Monday: Do laundry (this includes putting the clean laundry away promptly) and take the trash to the street for pickup on tuesday morning, and washout and disinfect the kitchen trashcan.
Tuesday: Wash out and disinfect the catbox and put in new litter, clean the fish bowl, and clean all the mirrors in the house.
Wednesday: Deep-clean/disinfect the kitchen (cabinets, oven, fridge, sink, garbage disposal, etc, really cleaning it all out), deep clean/disinfect the bathroom, and clean/mop all the floors in the house. Wednesday is my day off, so I have more time to spend cleaning, but it typically doesn’t take me more than an hour and a half - and that includes the time it takes to move all the rugs and furniture to clean the floors.
Thursday: Clean the windows and dust. That’s it.
Friday: Deep water the plants outside (in summer), sweep patio, clean off outdoor furniture, beat the doormat. That’s all.
Saturday: Organization and/or projects! Papers piled up on your desk? Can’t find anything in you closet? Silverware need polished? Something need mended? Do that on this day, always try to find something, even if it’s just oiling squeaky hinges real quick.
Sunday: Whatever.
My chore list is also built around my days off (wed/thurs), but it’s really easy to arrange things in a way where you can get a couple things done each day no matter your work schedule. If I didn’t want to do so much on wednesday I could add one of the chores to any of the other days that aren’t too full.

But that way, everything has a time that it will be taken care of.

Once I got the daily chore list down and in practice and was successful at it, I formed my study list.

Currently on my list: Holistic medical studies, anatomy/physiology, yoga, “higher" occult studies, (practical) witchcraft, latin, spanish, longsword martial arts, flamenco dance, archery, etiquette, knitting, sewing, opera, philosophy, and “free reading" aloud or speaking exercises.

And I may have two or three activities/projects and a number of materials I’m studying under each of these subjects.

Aside from work, my holistic medical studies are my top priority - so I devote the most time to that subject (1.5-2 hrs daily), and devote two segments of 30mins each to yoga daily.

Weekly study schedule:

Monday: Occult studies, Opera, Sewing
Tuesday: Practical Witchcraft, Yoga (theory - almost all reading)
Wednesday: Latin, Swords, Occult studies
Thursday: Spanish, Flamenco, Archery
Friday: Etiquette, Knitting + Podcast of choice (or audiobook)
Saturday: Philosophy, Anatomy/Physiology, Reading aloud
Sunday: Whatever
I have the most retention and physically demanding things scheduled for my days off.

After you have this sorted, you can format your daily schedule. My routine is unique to me and my needs, just as yours should be to you. And I’m very fortunate in that I have a set work schedule, otherwise I’d be having to work everything around a flexibly changing schedule, which can be more difficult and challenging, but can still be done!

Morning:

5:30am I wake up, drink a bottle of lemon or acv water, do an invocation, and get the house lit and moving
Between 5:45 and 6am I start my morning yoga/meditation
Around 6:30am A quick shower, brew some coffee or tea and get dressed (getting dressed/made up has a limit of 15 minutes for me)
7am start my holistic studies
Around 8:30 I have breakfast, journal/blumbl, clean up, and wake up and feed the aminals (they’d sleep until noon if we didn’t have to go to work, haha)
At 9am Dexter and I leave for work
Evening:

At 5:30pm I do the daily chores, have dinner, and clean up after dinner
6:30pm I feed the animals and start my first subject
7:30pm I start my second subject
8:30pm is blocked out as “free reading/misc" - basically I use this half hour slot to carry my daily subjects out longer, or do quick studies/exercises like flashcards or something - or, if my chores or dishes were not completely earlier I can catch up! (No excuses for messiness Tk!!!!)
9pm Evening yoga/meditation starts
9:30pm protein drink, journal/blumbl/read some “soulfood"
10pm shower, pjs, vitamins, nightly banishing ritual
10:30 sleep!
I will often times get home from work hours before 5:30, but I have my schedule listed to start at 5:30 so that in the case I do come home from work at that time I won’t feel stressed/rushed. This also allows me to add an extra half hour or hour to each scheduled subject, so the one hour time slot is more of a “minimum" scheduled amount of time.

I didn’t make a “day off" schedule because I love free time just as much as anyone. On a day off I’ll typically choose one of my three subjects and spend an hour or two starting at 9am. I get to spend my afternoons how I please, which is nice, and realistic. Sometimes I just take a long nap or lay around and do nothing!

I’d also like to point out: PODCASTS! AUDIO BOOKS! The whole time I’m cleaning and doing chores and sometimes even over meals or getting dressed - I’m listening to something. And you really can learn a lot from just one hour of cleaning while listening to an informative podcast or audiobook.

So, yes! I’d also recommend putting your schedule on a white board or somewhere that you just can’t miss it. And I suggest keeping a motivational journal, where you keep track of your productivity and just be honest with yourself. There are days where I really feel like I can’t do anything or where I totally slack off. It’s okay to have those days! Just not too frequently. Your schedule shouldn’t make you feel stressed out or anything like that - remember that it only exists to make your life easier, NOT to make you feel like you’re being held captive!

I really hope this was helpful to those who have been curious!
February 10th, 2014 at 09:38pm