Dance Update

Sometimes I write a lot about dance. Okay, not sometimes; all the time. I've posted two blogs about dance and most of the characters in my stories are dancers because it's just so easy for me to write about dancing.

Anyway, my last couple dance blogs were about how I was kind of upset with dancing and I almost felt like I wanted to quit because it didn't feel worth it anymore. I felt like a lot of my effort that was going into my dance life was not being noticed by anyone and so I thought what was the point of continuing.

Well, I'm certainly glad I didn't quit because all the hard work and suffering I went through paid off in the end. On Wednesday (2-19-14), I will be going to Dean College for their open house to take classes. I went to one of their open houses already back in November and I was dying to go again. On Sunday, the 23rd, I will be going back to Dean for my audition. If all goes well, I will be off to Dean for school in the Fall!

The second reason why I am so glad I didn't give up is because I finally just got my very first pair of pointe shoes! I've only been taking ballet for about a year and a half but I have been taking three ballet classes per week since September: Advanced ballet, pre-pointe/advanced intermediate ballet and beginner pointe (minus the pointe shoes until now. I wore demi-pointe shoes** for about 4 or 5 months prior to getting my real shoes). I also pick up on choreography and technique pretty quickly so even though I haven't been taking ballet for that long, I have the strength and ability for pointe because that just happens to be how it worked out for me.

I got Russian Pointe Bravas and they're amazing. I love them so much. At my studio, we're not allowed to wear padding, which makes the Russians much more painful when going en pointe and even when just standing flat in them because they have to be very compact and tight to the foot in order to support me when en pointe. I kinda wish I had gotten Bloch only because they have a tiny bit of padding built into the toe of the box inside and I felt maybe that would be a good beginner shoe for me but the Russians fit me so much better and they felt all around better too, despite there being no padding.

I couldn't believe that my teacher finally said I was ready and that all of my hard work had finally paid off. I'm extremely proud of myself for not giving up and this is just even more reassurance for me that dance is truly what I was born to do.

**Demi-pointe shoes are shoes that look like a pointe shoe and feel like a pointe shoe but have a significantly softer box and no shank to support you en pointe which makes them unsuitable for pointe work. If you have any questions about my demi pointes or my experience with them, just ask! I highly recommend them and think they're a great start for anyone who is looking to try pointe work some day.
February 17th, 2014 at 09:02pm