I Don’t Understand Pokebank’s Legality Checker

Dear Mibba, would any of you kind souls touch trade me Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, and/or Deoxys? I don’t want to keep them, I just wish for you trade them to be to register them in my Dex and I’ll give them right back. Apparently the ones I bummed off my friend are hacked to illegitly hacked to high heaven and Bank is blocking them. I want to complete my Dex so do a girl a favor and let me touch your Super Legends, please?

On that note~
I don’t understand Pokebank’s legality checker. I thought I did but after my banking excursions tonight…. I’m dumbfounded. I’ve not a clue how Nintendo has registered their legality checker to kick in. Honestly, at this point, it seems like it’s fairly random.

Let me tell you a story, Mibba…

Earlier in the day, I was bored so I decided to go searching through my old Pokemon game cards. On most of them, I found shit. Most were restarted and didn’t have anything worthwhile to transfer over. But when I checked my Soulsilver game, I found a treasure trove of shinies. Hacked shinies but shinies nonetheless. Most of them (about 85%) passed through bank without a problem. I’ve not got four boxes of shinies…. Thank you, Pokemon Bank. Which, by the way, they're all up for trade if you've got shinies or Super Legends to trade. They will all pass for legit, they made it through Bank, didn't they?

Anyway, as I was comparing games to see which ones got transferred and which ones didn’t, I noticed something. Many of the ones that were blocked were ones I can admit were from my noob hacking days. I know I probably screwed their coding up to high heaven so it doesn’t surprise me that they were blocked. However, I noticed something about the shinies I got from other people.

There were two Ralts that were to be transferred over. Both are female, both have 00001 as the I.D, both are shiny, and both have ‘Pokesav’ for an OT. They are identical. One got over, the other did not. For reference, they were not transferred in the same batch but in separate batches. The first one was reject but the second one was accepted.

I just…. What? No seriously… What the hell? I’m not mad one got blocked, I expected many of those shinies to be blocked. I’m surprised as many mad it over as they did. I’m more confused than anything.

I thought Nintendo’s legality checker was working good but now… I’m not so sure.

These Ralts were literally identical. I either used that hack twice or cloned them, I’m not sure. It’s been years since I last hacked Soulsilver. This is why I feel as though Bank’s legality checker might be random when it comes to shinies. I’ve heard stories of people’s self-bred and trained shinies not getting through Bank but I never believed it…. Now I do.

I’m very confused as to how Bank’s legality checker works because from my experience, there doesn’t appear to be an actual formula with it if it blocked one of an identical set of hacks. It’s weird. I almost want to dig out my ancient AR and put Bank to the test. I could easily create an obviously illegit shiny and create a seemingly legit shiny. I’d be interested to see if Bank would block one, both, or let them both through.

Maybe I’ll do it if I get bored enough. So, Mibba, tell me… Are you liking Bank? The trial expires in 12 days so are you planning to buy a subscription to it? Me, I’m not sure. I’ll decide closer to the end of the trial.
February 23rd, 2014 at 03:33am