R.I.P. Apollo

So I haven't blogged in awhile. I also may not have been posting much at all aside from my RP with rachthebat but I've been busy.

Between volunteering and a couple other things lately, my dog Apollo had to be put down about a week before Valentine's Day. He's had health problems in the past between his ear stuff and skin problems and two years ago needed emergency gall bladder surgery. If we hadn't gotten him the surgery he would have died then. But he made it through that surgery and then he was back to normal. But he had been sick for a little while recently and we could not figure out what was wrong with him at all. Apollo was a Mama's boy and I'd go to the vet with him and my mom the last few visits. When my mom would tell me to bring him to the car and wait for her there while she paid for the visits, we'd make it as far as out the door and then he wouldn't want to move. He did not wanna leave without my mom.

Even when he wasn't sick he would always love to be around my mom. She was the only one he'd fully listen to actually. But the last couple visits we found out his heartbeat was slower than it was supposed to be. On top of that he was looking bloated and it wasn't until the last visit we found out his liver was also enlarged and that there were signs of lymphoma. We had a few more days with him after that but it was getting to the point where he couldn't make it outside to go to the bathroom or even get up the steps without help. When it came time that we had to make the decision to put him down, my mom asked my sister and I if we wanted to go. My sister didn't want to, but I did because I didn't want my mom to be alone. Out of the three of us, she's been taking it the hardest. They had to take him in the back of the vet for a moment but they said they'd bring him back so we could say our goodbyes and then they'd give him the injection and when they had to bring him in the back, he did not want to leave my mom yet again. She walked out of the room with him but she came back. When they brought him back I said my goodbyes but when it came to them actually doing it I had to leave the room. As much as I wanted to be there for my mom, I couldn't watch that happen. I know he's not suffering anymore, but it's just so weird in the house without him. It's a whole lot quieter too even with my cats and their shenanigans.

My mom took this picture of Apollo with my cat Onyx:

Image

Even though Apollo would chase him around the house and stuff, they were buddies. Onyx hasn't gone outside much since Apollo has been gone. I know part of that could have to do with the fact that there's been snow, but I can tell he misses him.

As much as I miss my furry little brother (yeah I said that feel free to call me a dork for it) I'm just glad I had the time I had with him.

I might post another blog in a bit about what's been going on with me but I don't know yet. I just figured I'd let you all know a bit of why I've been mostly MIA lately.
February 23rd, 2014 at 08:08pm