Hands and Faces: Review

So I've been inactive for a very long while, but actually as an aspiring editor/writer I felt it was time I get back on this site and start getting amateur experience. I was casually scrolling through Zacky Vengeance's page considering her stories are my favourite on this site. She is not actually my favourite because she writes in my fandom, or writes my favourite pairing; that's just how I found her. The reason why she is my favourite is because I have not encountered another writer like her on Mibba for an age. I joined at fifteen, I'm twenty in May. She has her own style - hard to find - and it's like the sheen of frost on concrete in winter, there's a unique beauty to it that is so unnoticed, it's a shame. So as a way of helping my career prospects and as trying to do her talent some justice I have decided to review her story Hands and Faces chapter by chapter.
I was not surprised at the description, she has soft spot for the dark dwellings of the human mind... What better way to satisfy that urge by writing about a psychiatric ward for those with mental illness. Not that I'm complaining, I also like to read about such things; it hooked me in.
The first chapter for me was like seeing a real diamond for the first time or feeling silk slip through my fingers. Not once in her work, especially this first chapter of Hands and Faces have a read a single metaphor, simile or symbol that has been over used in fanfiction. As authors or readers we all know the cliches we read countless times, we know the phrases that have been recycled over the generations of band fictions... and she never uses them once. Not in her newer work, they have occasionally sprouted before.
I will make a note each week of characterization, plot and overall writing style, so as the format sayeth:
Characterization
Zacky - This was interesting to read, I know little about his mental illness, and since this is merely an introduction to him, I do not feel I need to. As he develops and we see more of his illness, I will certainly do so to evaluate the realism, or not, and how this contributes to the overall effect and narrative of the story. So, what stuck out I hear you ask? The beautiful way ZV; portrays his entrapment within an institute. Although many people write about the negative experiences within an institution, her eloquence in describing the emotions of being confined, the claustrophobia of the 'wide' corridor only being able to fit 'four' people through it. The monochromatic life of an unwanted regime... The details added to the perspective bring Zacky as a character alive. I just want to add here, the sheer brilliance of the metatextuality involved in the chapter. Catcher in the Rye, what a beautiful and clever alliance to bring in, especially creating an opposite opinion within her character to what most people would believe. That he does not do anything in his situation, that he is a coward. It makes us wonder more about Zacky's perspective on life, how he perceives and handles events in his own life. This reference creates intrigue and mystery. There is a depth to him that leaves the reader wondering about him, there are no direct give-aways when we first meet him - it is a skill to write characters so life-like in such a short amount of words. What she says in 2000 I say in 6000, any of those who read my works know this well.
Gwen - I love her, I think she is an interesting OC, the way she interacts with Zacky and her relationship with are described in a style that allows us a snapshot into their lives together as close friends. We're not given any back ground information that tells us why they are like that with one another, and that is the beauty of it. As readers we don't evaluate their relationship we merely appreciate it. Their playfulness together and dialogue flow naturally, ways in which people would communicate everyday with one another, together and individually neither of them pose the threat of slipping into 'Mary Sue' and 'Gary Stu' characters that have become slang terminology for blank characters that reflect the authors desires.
Plot
Considering this is the first chapter, there is fairly nothing to comment on this aspect other than the scene has been set well. Through the direct mentioning of time in the beginning of the chapter and the way both Zacky and the Nurse are hinged upon it as a concept, it foreshadows the close proximity of conflict, of something about to happen in time that is significant, masked by the lateness of Gwen. It appears as if Zacky's mental illness is set up as well, the finger rapping, the hair pulling and the intensity of his nervous behavior are apparent constantly reminding the reader that he is not a stable character, setting up issues that are most likely to arise later in the story. One must note the name of the place 'The Octagon' - Zacky V herself state that this place is fiction, only the geographical locations are real. The connotations that 'The Octagon' has reminds me of 'The Pentagon' and seems to me to represent the regimental stereotypes surrounding matters of high military and presidential importance. Maybe that's just my imagination running away with me... but that's what's great about her writing, her stories and style allow the reader to enter world and become fully absorbed, another talent of hers.
Style
I think her style settles well into free indirect discourse because despite being third person in narrative mode it fully enters Zacky's internal thoughts and develops them for the reader. I'd say this type of style will be interesting for when the action kicks in, whether or not it will change so we see other characters thoughts just as clearly or whether the chapter will change character perspective and not experiment with form. Again I have to emphasize the sheer beauty of her command of imagery, I could see the whole meeting between Zacky and Gwen with crystal clarity, and I felt more like I was reading something that could easily be turned into a cinematic experience rather than just reading a fanfiction. I will in this section mostly address images that really stuck out to me, if you feel differently, just comment. For me the image of Zacky's eyes was extremely powerful, concise but precise, which would be the tagline I would use for all of ZV;'s writing, actually. I also loved the way she described Gwen's hair and her consequent shaking out of the water droplets. The section where Zacky felt through the weight of the books caught me off-guard. Correct me if I'm wrong but in this chapter ZV; addressed every single sense other than taste (which I suppose she will leave to the sex scenes ;D), but that's besides the point. I suppose, in my opinion, it is the sensory element to her work that makes it so brilliant. She appeals to the eyes with striking and original imagery, she appeals to the reader's sense of smell, 'the scent of old books' I believe was in this one, the sense of touch - the weight of the books and hearing, the clicking of Gwens shoes. It's so crucial, obviously because I remembered it all with such clarity, because I feel it is what brings a piece of writing alive, it allows the reader to full experience the moment for what it is. It is beautiful and it draws you in.
That is enough ranting, I think. So I will end every post here with a gif of how well I think the chapter was written and how much I enjoyed it. As a hard critic to please I leave you with another hard person to please telling you how amazing we both find the introductory chapter.

Image
February 28th, 2014 at 12:53am