You're not even that skinny [National ED Awareness Week]

So its national eating disorder awareness week and my eating habits have been off for a few months now so I've been doing some research on different types of eating disorders and even though I'm not diagnosed and I'm "not even that skinny" as most of my peers would say I'm going to share my little story dealing with eating disorders.

I was 14 the first time I purged a meal. I don't even know how it started. The restrooms were conjoined to the school cafeteria and every single day after lunch I'd just slip away and regurgitate my meal and then go back and join my friends. It was that simple and no one noticed. I didn't notice any substaintial weigh loss, I didn't own a scale either so I don't know how effective purging was for me but I after a year and a half I stopped, as easily as I started and now I only do it if I have a really big meal because I don't like my stomach feeling heavy.

I saw more progress restricting and overexercising. I'll post a picture from my junior year of high school and one of me now as a rising sophmore in college. I've lost over 50 pounds in that period of time by trying different fad diets like ABC, AIT, Liquid diets, anything that was quick and easy and would not kill me. Even so, I'm not extremely underweight so I can't be diagnosed with anorexia. I don't go to the doctors often so I haven't talked to any medical professionals about all this and I most likely won't as I have it under my control.

People seem to think that eating problems don't affect males and they do. We can want to be thin too and there's a negative stigma that comes with being an eating disordered male for some reason. I don't know why.

Like I said I'm not really the poster child of anorexia but I can see how its made a difference in my appearance and yeah its great to be smaller and look healthier on the outside but constantly focusing on what I consume is taking a toll on my life that people CAN'T see
Image
Image
March 1st, 2014 at 05:41am