The Mibbian's Guide to Story Commenting

(Note: I'm not trying to rag on anyone or anything with this. Just trying to have fun. I hope my insanity makes you laugh!)

Why, hello there, [insert username here]! My name is Emmalee and I'll be your instructor today!

You know, I've been on Mibba for a few years and it's one of my favorite sites to be on. I love everything about it, but my favorite section is by far the story section! It's also the section that we'll be reading about today so we can help improve the overall quality of it. So, [insert username here], is the story section your favorite part of the site too? Well, even if it isn't, that's just swell!

Lately there have been users talking about the lack of people commenting on stories. Now, while I don't believe absolutely no one comments on stories anymore, I have noticed that comments are somewhat lacking in contrast to the number of comments from months back. We've all been hit hard in this comment recession, some more than others, and I'm sure that all of us wish we could just have maybe a nice comment here or there to make our day.

Well, I'm here to help! I'm going to show you how you can comment on a story and make someone's day in a few easy steps! Now, I know what you're thinking, "What about getting comments on my own stories?!"

Image

WE'LL GET TO THAT LATER. CALM YO TITS.


Alrighty, then! Let's get started shall we?

Step One:
Find a story to read! You can either search for a new story in the story section or go to your subscriptions page to find a story you're already subscribed to!

Step Two:
Read the story! Read and take it all in! Live it. Love it. ...Um... Love it some more.

Step Three:
Comment! Go to the comments page or--

Little Suzy: MISS EMMALEE!

WAE?! WHAT?! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!

Little Suzy: I'm too lazy to comment. I don't want to have to go onto another page to comment!

Image

Well, Little Suzy, there's something amazing that I was going to tell you about if you hadn't interrupted me. *Ahem* As I was saying... Go to the comments page or click upon the orange button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. A comment box will then pop up!

Image

Now all you have to do is comment!

Little Jimmy: Miss Emmalee!

...What now?

Little Jimmy: I can't write a comment because I don't have time!

Image

That's actually a valid point.

This may sound cheesy, but make a note of it. Write it down on scratch paper, type it into your phone's notes, or even leave yourself a message on your computer somehow. Just leave something to remind yourself that you enjoyed the chapter you read and you want to let the author know that.

Little Johnny: I usually just write, "Good chapter! Update soon!" I don't know what else to put otherwise.

Image

Well, you certainly can do that. However, while a majority of the authors will still be grateful and appreciative of your comment and of the time you took out to write it, it might not completely make the author content. I believe I worded that incorrectly, but stay with me. Imagine how you would feel if someone typed out a small comment that didn't even talk about anything you wrote about? Depending on the amount of effort you put into the piece or chapter, it may even be slightly discouraging.

To leave a decent comment, here are some things to consider:
- What parts of the story/chapter did/didn't you like? Why?
- What were some of your favorite quotes or pieces of dialogue from the story/chapter?
- Did you like the way the author described the setting?
- How did the author's writing make you feel?
- Did your favorite character have enough time in the chapter?
- What do you think is going to happen in the next chapter?
- What do do you hope will happen in the next chapter?
- Did you notice any grammatical errors in the text that you could point out to help improve the quality of their story?

Little Maggie: BUT WHAT IF THE AUTHOR GETS MAD AT US FOR POINTING OUT ERRORS OR GIVING CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM?!

Image

Another valid point.

First, when deciding to hand out constructive criticism, make sure you lay it on thick. Okay, maybe not thick, but still. Do the usual sandwich procedure that I'm sure most people do.

Compliment → Constructive Criticism → Compliment


Make them feel good about their work before pointing out flaws. Pointing out errors in the text at the start of the comment can sometimes sound standoff-ish and berating, even if you don't mean to sound that way at all. After all, tone of voice never travels well over the internet and is easily misunderstood.

If they still go off on you, it's your call. The worst they can do is yell at you. If they continue to harass you about what you said, contact an admin, explain the situation, and ask if they can tell the user to stop. Don't forget to include screenshots! After that, you can either choose to read the story as a silent reader or, if the incident's left a bad taste in your mouth, just be on your merry way. No one's going to blame you for not sticking around a story after something like that.

I think this basically covers how to write a story comment!

"WAIT!"


Image

Oh, what is it now?

"You never discussed on how to get story comments for our own stories."

Okay. Honestly, one of the best things I can say is to comment on other stories. Why? Because you're spreading the love. Whoa, man, that was a totally hippie thing to say. I honestly believe that one of the best ways is to comment on the stories of others because when you're commenting, the authors are probably going to feel good about it. They're going to be like, "Wow, that was super nice of them." Then they'll go off on their own to read the stories that they're subscribed to and probably will leave a comment because they're in a good mood because of your comment. It then becomes a circle THE CIRCLE OF LIIIIIIIIFFFFFEEE and everything will go around to everyone. I'm actually like this and it's a reason why I always try to leave a comment.

And yes, there will be a few authors who are considered "greedy" and will just not comment because they don't want to, but there's really nothing you can do.

If you need another reason... KARMA.

Image

With this, you have graduated! You have read and you have conquered. You are now ready to go out into the world of Mibba and read and comment on the stories that are dying to be loved. Congratulations class of '14... WE DID IT.

Image

BATMAN'S OUTTIE, BITCHES!


Image
March 2nd, 2014 at 08:41am