Happy International Women's Day

It's International Women's day!

Now I tend to gravitate towards male characters. If you've read my stuff you'll know my cast is often about 90% male. And in turn my lead females are usually strong and/or independent in their own way. I suppose this is a reflection on the way I was raised. So here's a list of women (both real and fictional) I find inspiring. I can't list everyone so it's just a round up in no particular order.

Artemisia I (Died c. 480 B.C.)
Usually I would dislike someone who sided with the Persians over the Greeks (because I'm biased) but this lady was crafty as hell. She was queen of Caria and Ionia (Turkey) after her husbands death and allied herself with the Persians, contributing five war ships to Xerxes army which she commanded herself. She told Xerxes not to attack the Greeks by sea, being that they were superior in this region, but he didn't listen. Still she came to battle (you probably know where this is going if you know your greek history.) When she found herself surrounded by Athenian ships she rammed and sank a Persian ship. The Greeks saw this and assumed they were allies, Xerxes assumed she had destroyed a Greek ship, and so neither side made an attempt to stop her and she made her getaway. We don't really know what happened to her. They say she became a pirate. An awesomely savy pirate.

Pocahontas (1596-1617)
Ok so I love the disney film. But we all know that her relationship with John Smith was more of an adoptive one and by throwing herself over his body as he was about to be executed she saved his life. She was the peacekeeper and negotiator between the English colonists and the Powhatans, and she went on to marry an Englishman.

Elizabeth I (1533-1603)
Image
Doesn't need an introduction does she? and my goodness could she deliver a speech.

Margaret I (1353-1412)
She was a princess of Denmark raised in Sweden who married the King of Norway. By 1387 her father and husband had died so she persuaded the respective counsels to recognise her son Olaf as King of Denmark and Norway with herself as regent until he came of age. When her nephew the King of Sweden died in 1389 she once again became regent. Seriously she was regent of three Scandinavian countries in a time of male rulers. When her son Olaf died she persuaded the three kingdoms to recognise her grandnephew as the heir and they consented. She then ruled in his stead for the next fifteen years driving from office anyone who opposed her. She gave Scandinavia twenty years of peace, where cultural and economic life flourished. Serious badass.

Sophie Scholl.
Image
She was part of the White Rose who were a non-violent resistance group in Nazi Germany during World War II. She was caught distributing anti-war leaflets, arrested along with other prominent members of the group including her brother and convicted of high treason. She was executed at the age of 21. At no point during their activity or her arrest did she sacrifice her beliefs to save herself.

Jane Eyre.
I must have read Jane Eyre a hundred times and seen all the adaptions, but everytime I read it I find something new in the pages. I think that's what makes great literature and though Jane never defeated an army per say, she has a will of steel, a sense of right and never took the easy route.

Maya Angelou.
Image
Writer, academic and an activist who chronicled the African American experience through her work. She's been an inspiration to millions and persevered despite the appalling things she suffered through as a child.

Zainab Salbi.
Iraqi American CEO and founder of Women for Women International.

Emma Thompson.
Image
Is just incredible. She's supported of anti-poverty agency ActionAid for years, is the chair of a human rights organisation, and has been raising awareness of sex trafficking. She speaks openly about personal issues such as post-natal depression. And if that's not enough, she was the first person to win an Oscar for both acting and screenwriting. Yeah.

Helen Mirren.
Aka the Queen. There's just too much to say. She's a legend.

Tilda Swinton.
Image
A true chameleon. She smashes down barriers. Plus she's just effortlessly cool.

Rachel Weisz.
Image
dskajhfo;ifohifjaewjfewajfg;kl. Yeah I can't even look at her. She's so incredibly witty and articulate and wonderful.

Miranda Dickinson.
This woman is awesome. She's been my writing mentor for a year now and in that time she's given me belief in my writing ability. She doesn't sugar coat the industry and she's brutally honest. Also I admire the fact she's sold thousands of books yet hasn't grown an ego and still adores (and lives in) the county where she grew up.

Kat Dennings.
Image
Doesn't conform to the industry's ideas of 'beautiful' (which is crazy cuz she's insanely beautiful) but is now getting the recognition she deserves. She's joined the ranks of the new generation of women who've learnt to embrace their bodies. Oh and she's my spirit animal.

My sister Alexandra.
(Or as she likes to refer to herself Alexandra the great, leader of men - I wish I was joking.) At the age of 23 she became a parent. I guess this isn't young by today's standard. The father asked if they could get back together, but my sister said no for numerous reasons. We are the products of a dysfunctional marriage and strongly agree that parents should not stay together in a unhappy relationship for the sake of the children. Since then she's raised my nephew as a single parent. Yes she has a supportive family, but she works so incredibly hard looking after him, and then she goes to care for dementia patients. She's just one of those souls people gravitate towards because she's level-headed and listens to others problems. Plus I owe her for practically raising me.

I've rambled enough. I could go on and on but I'll stop there. Obviously there's also mibbian ladies who inspire me constantly, but I'll save those for upcoming rec blogs ;)

So who are some of the ladies you're celebrating today?
March 8th, 2014 at 06:00pm