We Are Influenced

Every one of us has been influenced at one point in our lives or another. I myself can say I have been influenced a great deal by my family. I don’t think we can go through this life without being affected by someone.

My mom, while a perfectionist, taught me many things. She taught me to never give up when things are tough, and to always do your best, even the world is slacking. I always thought it wasn’t fair, why should I do 100% when everyone else was only doing 50%? It just didn’t make sense at the time. Now that I’m older though, I understand with a certain clarity what she meant. Life isn’t fair, and the only way to make it is to do your best, and never stop trying. She also taught me kindness, and the value of hard work. To this day, I value her opinion, and respect her.

My dad showed me compassion; to not let the bad things affect me, and to always stick with something until the very end. He is one of my role models. He might think I don’t listen to him, but I do. I listen and pay attention more than he thinks. His words affect me, lift me up, and make me greater than I could be one my own. Being nice to others is something I’ve done since I was little. I hate bullies, and can’t stand when someone is being picked on. I think my father showed me this inadvertently. While bad things occur, I have learned to try not to dwell on them for too long. Holding grudges, wanting vengeance? My dad taught me that those things don’t help you in the long run. So I decided I didn’t want to hold onto such negative things, and to this day I do not hold grudges, or seek vengeance.

My brother taught me how to be whimsical, and have a sense of humor. He might think he never influenced me, but he did. He is jovial, kind and funny. I think he is the reason I am so playful. I can be serious, but thanks to him, I don’t stay that way long. He is more than just a fun guy though, he is intelligent, a hard worker, and a loyal friend. I love him more than he knows, and I enjoy his company. We grew up together, so it’s only natural that I reminisce about old days. He might be the younger sibling, but he has always been mature for his age, and at times I feel as if he is the older one.

I just had to write something up about my family. They are the greatest people I know, and I love them with all of my heart. I don’t think I would be the person I am without each and everyone of them. They make me smile through my tears, and laugh at life. They are the reason I am the person I am today.
March 13th, 2014 at 09:49pm