Concert Do's and Don'ts!

I should be writing right now, but a couple of my friends who are going to a concert with me in a couple weeks are asking me for hints and tips for attending. I thought of some pretty helpful stuff for anybody else who wants to know this kind of stuff!

Do's:

Do wear what you want! If you feel like wearing a skirt or dress, put shorts underneath. If you're wearing jeans, make sure you can get them dirty. Basically wear whatever makes you comfortable but isn't indecent!
Do wear closed-toed, comfortable shoes! If you're in a balcony or a seated venue, this sin't so much of a deal. I've seen plenty of people get their sandals and heels ruined, toes broken and complain of their feet hurting. Please please please wear comfortable shoes.
Do Keep hydrated! If the venue lets you bring water in, do so! if you feel faint in the middle of a set, don't let yourself get to dehydrated and not leave to get water! People feel like they will lose their spot and believe me, it's not worth it. You need to keep healthy!
Do bring money for merch/food and water. Who doesn't like buying stuff? bring cash (mostly $20's), because few places accept cards.
Do make friends! Going to concerts alone isn't as bad as it seems. Talk to people in line about how excited you are, or how much of a deal you got on tickets. They may not last after the night is over, but you'll have someone to jam with when your favorite song is played!
Do Help people! If someone is crowd surfing, help them along (and make sure you don't get kicked in the face on the way!) if someone is passing out, throw their arm over your shoulder and carry them out of the venue. There will be staff to help you from there.
Do call out anyone that gropes you. I don't care if it's the cute guy next to you, the girl you just made friends with or the security guard supposedly looking out for you. It's not ok, at all. Call them out loudly. Someone will hear you and most likely put them back in line. People at concerts are cool.

Don'ts:

Don't Leave your hair down! It's just a bad idea. Things will get in it, you'll sweat more and you'll piss people off behind you when it goes into their mouths. So please, for the love of all things good, tie you hair up! Bun, braid, even a small ponytail works! Look up some tutorials on youtube if you don't know what to do with your hair.
Don't get there late! I am never really early for concerts. but I get there a good amount of time before it starts to make sure i get a good spot and good merch. It doesn't hurt you to be a little early!
Don't forget your size! You'll waste everybody's time if you have to stand there and try on three all the sizes to see which fits. (I'm a medium if men's sizes or unisex (the most common kind of sizes) and a large or medium for women's depending on the material.)
Don't forget to tip! Tipping is very important, and it makes you and all around nice guy! Buying water or food? leave a few bucks for the girl who gives it to you. Buying merch? Even a couple of dollars into their tip box makes them smile. (And a plus: if you tip the merch people really good, they might let you leave your bag and/or coat behind the table so you don't have to carry it around!)
Don'tget too angry! There are going to be assholes, especially if there's alcohol served. You'll probably get beer spilled on you, and drunk douche bags who think it's ok to push past you. Just let them go. Eventually someone will stop them and put them in their place, but when it's you, you're letting them ruin you goodnight.
Don't tell the people at merch table you want "That shirt" or "(insert any band you're seeing here)'s Shirt". What is "that shirt"? There's usually like 20+ kinds of merch. If you can see, tell you want the gray Panic! At the Disco T-shirt with the cowboy and sunset on it. They'll greatly appreciate it.
Don't bring cigarettes! I'm a smoker, but I know to leave mine at home. Second-hand smoke is almost as dangerous and some people can be really allergic to it. Plus, it's a fire hazard. I've seen a girl's hair caught on fire because someone behind her was lighting up! If you're really desperate for one, bum it off the cute guy in the leather jacket outside after the show. Or run across the street to the gas station to pick up a pack before your ride gets there!

Things to bring in your bag (if you bring one):

your ticket
cell phone
money (as much as you can afford to spend!plus some extra is there's a chance you need to take a cab or bus home.)
water (if allowed)
camera (if allowed)
black and silver sharpie (in case you catch the band doing a signing afterwards!)
any prescription medications (make sure you only bring the doses that you need that day in the bottle with your name on it!)
a photo ID (driver's license or your school ID works fine)

Extra:

If you're planning on bringing a bag, make sure you have one that works with the venue. My local venue doesn't allow backpacks, even the small ones, but they allow drawstring bags. Drawsting bags give me rope burn, but are the best ones to bring. There's a lot of room for merch, your wallet, and sometimes friends will ask you to carry their shirt if they changed. If drawstring bags don't work for you, look into cross-body bags. These are difficult because they are on your side and someone could potentially steal something. Just be sure to keep them in front of you body at all times and it will be fine :)

Most importantly, have fun!!! :)
March 13th, 2014 at 10:13pm