Friendship is a Funny Thing.

No. It really is. You meet someone and you realize you have common interests so you decide that out of all the other humans in this world you are going to choose that one to be close to. Whether you have twenty or one hundred or just one - it doesn't matter. You've seen something in that person that makes you think: "Yeah. I want you to stick around a while." But what happens when you grow up? Grow apart? What do you do with that friendship that at some point meant a great deal to you? Do you let it fade naturally into the background until only the memory remains? Do you sever all ties in one fell swoop as if they'd never existed in the first place? It's just funny to me. Not funny haha but it's just a strange experience all around.

Now I'm going to share something vaguely personal so if you'd like to leave I won't be offended. I don't make friends easily. I don't make friends hardly at all. The most social interaction I get is via the internet; which some would say is not real friendship at all but I beg to differ. I've met wonderful people online. People that have and still do mean something to me. People I care about. I cared about her. I suppose, in some way, I still do. But I knew it was time to move on. Eight years is a hard thing to just let go of but then I realized it was eight years of a one sided relationship. Eight years of my giving and her taking. Eight years of disappointment and anger and unsaid words and hidden feelings. I deserved better.

I stood up for myself - something I never do - and waited, patiently, for her humanity to emerge, for her to realize the error in her ways, to apologize and make things right. It's been four days and it hasn't happened. No, instead, she has completely ignored me. She has deleted me from social media sites we followed each other on. Not a word of explanation. She hasn't even said: "I'm angry" or "I'm hurt" - which I would accept because I may be giving her a taste of her own medicine and it might not be the nicest thing in the world to do but after eight years of being stepped on I guess I just got sick of being a decent person. It's funny because it's kind of what I wanted. I was ready for the friendship to end but to be just cut off without a word still stings.

Yes, friendship is a funny and fickle thing.
March 20th, 2014 at 11:10pm