Life Choices

People keep asking me what I want to do after highschool. And I hate it. Not because I dont know. But because I'm expected to know. We're all expect to know. I feel like it has to be worse for the seniors because in may they have to ask permission to go to the bathroom. Then in august they are supposed to know exactly what they want from life. What they want to do and who they want to be.

And see. The thing is. People ask me. Then they judge me for it. They ask, "what do you want do?" And I tell them social work. They normally reply "that doesn't pay much" to which I say passion over pention, I want to help people. My favorite comment I got back to that was "then be a damn doctor. You'll be rolling in nigh money for yourself and then you can donate. You'd be helping people." People just don't get it. It is what I am passionate about. Its something I want to do. Sure I'm only a junior. But helping people in that way is what I love.

As kids we are encouraged to be ourselves. Do what we love and what makes us happy. To live our lives for yourself. As we grow up you slowly realize that people just say that. They really only want you to do that if it's the same thing that they want. You're told to be yourself. But only if yourself is what other people want. It is so backwards.

Well the point of this. Is that...well...I just don't really know. I think it's to do what you want. Forget what other people want. Live for yourself make choices for yourself. Because ears from now, the people saying they don't like what your doing will be gone. But you would have already made the choices because if them. And changed your life because of them. It isn't worth it.
March 29th, 2014 at 08:07pm