Book Review #1 One Day (David Nicholls)

Heart-warming, insightful, tear-jerking...
Just a few phrases that come to mind when reading One Day, the moving and intriguing novel by best-selling author David Nicholls.

This Book illustrates the strong and honest relationship between Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew, university sweethearts turned life-long companions. Finely crafted, each chapter is written to tell the story of the same day each year; the anniversary in which they first met. Spanning 20 years in total, the reader is taken on a roller-coaster ride of friendship, trust and heartbreak.

By Far the most absorbing factor of the novel is how the chemistry between two ordinary people is portrayed: Although primarily telling the tale of the every-day lives of every-day citizens, Nicholls creates natural, charismatic and most importantly attaching characters that will forever live in your heart.

Furthermore, the fact that each chapter takes place one year after the previous one in no way complicates or confuses the delicate yet bold storyline. In fact, by the last page you feel as though you have been living your life as a witness to the relationship between Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew.

To summarise, One Day is an effortless and faultless novel which will cause emotional attachment and overwhelming love, all in the time-span of a 20 year love affair.

* * * * * (5/5 stars)
March 30th, 2014 at 04:33pm