Book Review #2 North Of Beautiful (Justina Chen Headley)

How far would you go to find true beauty? A glance in the mirror? A look in a magazine? Or in a life condemned at birth?

North Of Beautiful is the heart-wrenchingly honest story of Terra Rose Cooper, an artistic and sensitive teenager born with a facial disfigurement. Her life exists in a small and boring town, stuck between following her dreams of art college and obeying her stern father's rules. When her path crosses with a goth boy named Jacob she is thrown into a memorable and passionate adventure in search of true beauty.

Perhaps the reason why this book is so mesmerising is how the author gives each character their own identifiable quirks. Being able to build a mental picture of your favourite character of both their physique and personality can often be difficult but your vision is sculpted perfectly in the hands of Justina Chen Headley.

Another aspect of the story which cannot go unmentioned is how well defined the relationships among the characters are. You begin to see every strength, weakness and clash between each personality, which determines your overall view on the book.

In conclusion, North Of Beautiful is an elaborate blend of well-revised story-line, chiselled and defined characterisation and crystal-clear imagery. I would recommend this book to anyone who has a taste for adventure or simply wants a good read full of sentiment.

**** (4/5)
March 30th, 2014 at 05:53pm